How many times a day do they lay and what happened to our Easter Eggers?

What is the texture of the eggs? Hard and rough, or smooth?
That is a very good question and another thing I am confused about. Angel, one of my buff orpingtons, we call her angel bc she is much lighter than the other BO. She has a lot of white on her bottom too. And she is my one that likes to lay on the eggs or what I was assuming was producing the eggs. The reason why I say this is bc I have actually seen her at times physically push out an egg. And the egg will be a pinkish brown with white speckles like a fairy dust. It is really funny bc I laugh and say that is why we call you Angel. But the other eggs are about the same color and some times they have areal smooth almost silky texture to them. And then other times they will have brown speaks that you can feel on them. Really odd.

That is a very good question and another thing I am confused about. Angel, one of my buff orpingtons, we call her angel bc she is much lighter than the other BO. She has a lot of white on her bottom too. And she is my one that likes to lay on the eggs or what I was assuming was producing the eggs. The reason why I say this is bc I have actually seen her at times physically push out an egg. And the egg will be a pinkish brown with white speckles like a fairy dust. It is really funny bc I laugh and say that is why we call you Angel. But the other eggs are about the same color and some times they have areal smooth almost silky texture to them. And then other times they will have brown speaks that you can feel on them. Really odd.
Specks are calcium deposits.

We have two Buff Orpingtons that always lay the pinkish brown eggs and we have two Easter Eggers that were laying the pretty Bluish green colored eggs. But we have noticed a change in our layers for the past 5 months and now we are struggling to know who laid what. They are also laying at different times and I know this sounds crazy but we either have a broody but not aggressive Buff Orpington or she is laying more than one time a day which I read that can't happen but it does not explain how come I can go out to our coop and get two brownish colored eggs and later go back out and she is laying on an egg that looks like she produced.
So my question is first off what caused our Easter Eggers to stop laying the pretty colored eggs and going to the brownish pink color OR is one of my buff orpingtons laying more than one egg a day? Every time I am out there she is laying down like she is laying another egg and she has that look in her eye of concentration and when she gets up there is an egg. I go back out a little while later and she is back at it again.
Easter eggers don't lay regular, but when they do.. plenty. It's the end of winter, get anywhere from none too one too 5 and 6 on and off now it's getting springy.. Minus one, two or three someone or something is eating.. Soon to be 30 in a day, and that was when I only had 20 something.. Now ten more.. Jersey Giants. Still haven't figured what eggs they're laying. Unless it's the different brown color and a little elongated.. and not as large as you would suppose. Chickens set on eggs whether they laid an egg or not.. That is the purpose of ceramic nest eggs.. to get them too nest and lay eggs where you can find them.. I actually use them too discourage egg eaters.. Works some, and placed as many as 5 - 6 in the lower nest box where the issue seems to reoccur.. mark them.. so you don't give them away. People get confused not being able to crack an egg with anything less than a hammer.. You'll be fine, regardless of color, they are a yellow in the middle.

i was just reading at a hatcherys chicken list of EE they are two kinds of breeds Our Easter Eggers are a combination of the traditional American Easter Eggers, which typically has a pea comb, beard and green legs, along with the European version of Easter Eggers, which are called Grünleger, which typically have yellow legs, a single comb, and commonly a tuft on its head. The Grünleger are a hybrid cross between a commercial type Legbar, and brown egg laying hens, therefore unlike the American Easter Egger, they will not breed true, with only a portion of the offspring laying colored eggs. Overall, the Easter Eggers typically lay colored eggs, but up to 15% of the time you will have one that lays brown or cream eggs

I've been waiting eagerly for my 19-20 week old pullets to lay for awhile now. I plan to keep records (feed to egg, etc.), so I put up a trail cam by the nest box. Got my first egg today and I know exactly who laid it! My Easter Egger! Here's what the trail cam captured:

Going into the nest box
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 2.58.09 PM.png

Coming out
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 2.59.04 PM.png

Telling the world about it!
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 3.00.27 PM.png

And of course, I had to take some pix... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/finally-an-egg-at-20-weeks-from-my-easter-egger.1483048/

Back
Top Bottom