How many times a day to most roosters mate?

idunno.gif
Countless. They say 1 rooster for every 10 hens ( to keep him happy and the girls happy)... lol
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

I googled around while I was waiting. Apparently 15- 20 is common. Also, the repetitive stuff I was seeing has a name. It's called the Coolidge Effect and it happens when they get new hens in the flock. Just fascinated with new girls. lol

Quote:
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Wow, good question!!! I was wondering the same thing myself today. My roo is going to wear himself out! He's busier than 15-20 times a day, and he does not look worn out at all!

can you supply links to where you found this info
im going to get 2 girls in for my roo to cover and want to kno more about this coolige affect in chicken lol

Last edited:
I think it's just...amazing.... that the very first thing my rooster does upon everybody coming out the pop door is try to mount them, one at a time, before they run away. He's obsessive. Kind of obnoxious, really, for the first couple minutes every morning.
ep.gif

And then, throughout the day, he spaces his "attention" out, with some breaks between the activity.

My rooster is such a nymph that I couldn't stand it anymore and started to chase him around the pen in order to catch him and put him in a separate cage to give the girls a break. I'll be darn if he didn't stop on top of multiple hens during the pursuit to sow his seed! Talk about frustrating!
barnie.gif

Quote:
My older cockerel does that too! He approaches at least 4-6 of the girls within 30 seconds of my opening the coop door in the morning! I attribute it to morning.... uh, well you can guess...
gig.gif

They usually just run away, too interested in being out and looking for scratch- then he just mutters forlornly under his breath and tries another girl! He's enough of a gentleman to take "no" for an answer, so it's kind of funny to watch. The rest of the day 15-20 times seems about right.

He's got 7 mature hens to spread his attentions to now, and 11 more immature pullets to share with the younger cockerel in a few months.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom