How many times/day do you feed your chickens?

I keep a steady supply available for our birds and it keeps down any damage due to competition at the feed bowl as they know they can eat whenever they're hungry. Our girls live in a protected dog pen of 10 x 20 with a nightly safe roost that I lock up to keep out varmints.

in the morning, I give their treats of lettuce, grubs and sprinkle a little oyster shell so they can do their scratching. My wife says I spoil them. Maybe so, but they're dependable layers.

I have 21 hens and their coop is large for them to move freely. I work full time and have no one else to help me, so the Ladies get fed in the mornings only. There are three bowls that I will put some feed into each, then the big feeder that hangs several inches off the ground so as not to scratch the feed out. There is also three water sources. I'll buy bulk greens at Sam's, eat what I want then a couple of days later, throw some out to the Ladies. On days there are no scraps, I toss Alfalfa hay for them. I had a friend that cut one of my old tires in half longwise, then I put the hay in the center and they have room to scratch without spreading all over the coop. They have the two halves and its just a flake of hay each for the two half tires. Living here in NM, there is no grass and stuff. I'm on the mesa and it's sand, tumbleweeds, sage and goatheads. I had let them roam before but where I live the Bobcat wiped my flock out a couple of years ago. They are content and lay beautifully. People at work will save scraps for me too, but (gross) I will look through what they gave before tossing---chocolate cake is a no-no. If I am home and it has been really cold, I will give some scratch in the late afternoon--but not often. The Ladies are used to the one meal a day and basically with the four feed bowls/feeder, they leave a bit in each for during the day. Little birds on the other hand--yep--they eat too.

I spread my feed out over several bowls depending on how many are in each pen. Adult birds get 1 feeding per day but I make sure it's enough to last until just before dusk when I put them in the coop for the night. Juvenile birds & meaties get fed twice a day & babies always have food in the bowl.

Last edited:
I also am a proud mommy of 4 hens and 3 sussex specles. They are 8 month too. Am been getting eggs since Dec. But only get 1 or 2 somedays. I feed them 2 times a day and give them scrapes now and then. Am I doing something wrong ?

I also am a proud mommy of 4 hens and 3 sussex specles. They are 8 month too. Am been getting eggs since Dec. But only get 1 or 2 somedays. I feed them 2 times a day and give them scrapes now and then. Am I doing something wrong ?

Nope. It's that time of year. A lot of hens slow way down when the days get shorter unless you use supplemental lighting.

My hens have 24 hour access to their layer feed. I also give them whatever left overs they will get that day around noon so that they will eat all of it before they go to bed so it doesn't attract rats (made that mistake before...). This also means that they will have filled up on their layer feed after laying their eggs before they get the 'scratch' from the kitchen. Then they supplement by digging up the yard for bugs and moss :).

Mine always have access to food. even when they are free ranging i keep their food container full, i have one that holds 5 lbs of food. I feed chicken scraps whenever we have them and I go outside as treats.

Nope. It's that time of year. A lot of hens slow way down when the days get shorter unless you use supplemental lighting.
so, how did you break it to your hens? mine didnt seem to get that memo. they are laying way too much. more then spring and summer. little bantams. the crows are my friend now.
th.gif

Mine all free range... I have about 15. They all share about one coffee can full of scratch. It's pored by the nesting boxes at noon and everyone goes in for a bite as they please.

If you can free range, it saves a ton of money on feed!

Back
Top Bottom