How many times do you have to turn the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tanichca, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Alright, my broody, who sat for two weeks, quit yesterday. I still need some more birds, so I think I will dig out the 'bator and buy the eggs, etc. The incubator is a manual turner, last time I used it, I had to turn five times a day (including 3:00 am [​IMG] ) but is that really necessary? How many turns, and at what times, work best?

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

before I bought a turner....I would 3x a day once in the morning before work one after work and one more before i went to bed and i had no problem with hatches... [​IMG]

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I think three turns a day is the minimum amount for reasonably good hatches. People on here have had okay hatches with fewer turns a day, and/or with irregular or no turning at all, but normally as part of an experiment. If you're wanting a good result, I'd say go for three a day...

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    And no need to get up during the night to turn them. As long as you turn an odd number of times then they will be on different sides each night. Best of luck.

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:I would turn 'em three times a day, roughly every 8 hours. If one turn is closer to 9 hours and another is closer to 6 or 7, it's no big deal. I get the same approximate hatch rate on an average 8 hour turn that I get if I vary my times with the longest period being 4 hours.

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Alright. Thanks so much, everyone!

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    3 times and more. You turn when you can with your schedule. The easy method would be take a 2"x4", thick book or some similar raise one end and other so no need to rotate individual egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by