How many times has your duck changed colors????

Everyone has been asking to use hair gel on Kupo and spike his pompom for him.
big_smile.png

I have never heard of any problems caused by the pompom after hatching age, and with one of each you shouldn't have anything to worry about. What I meant by potentially lethal was only that 25% of crested x crested babies die in shell, and that won't apply to yours. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Your babies should be interesting! You have different color, body type, and hairstyle for mom/dad, so you could get a lot of variety.

I love the mallard-type coloring, btw. I was hoping my swedish-or-whatever-they-are would turn out that color, as I watched a slight green sheen appear on the drake's head, and both develop some blue to the wings. It never fully developed though, so I guess they are the color they are now. When I was growing up, my grandma kept mallards and I would love to have ducks that color now.

Good luck with your ducks! I love the name "Frodo" too, btw.

trish

Everyone that sees Frodo loves him but they always ask what is wrong with his head LOL. I cant wait to see some babys but I do have a question - since Frodo and Ebony have been doing the " dirty duck deed " daily when will she lay eggs? I dont want babies hatched during the winter so if she does lay should I take them from her until spring than let her lay more and hatch them out?how will I know that they eggs will have babies in them?
She is a good little duck but she will not let my white pekin duck mate with her - my hubby has named the white one Afflac ( of course ) I had a huge white roo he named KFC LOL but he went to a larger farm to live.
any help you can give me on the whole duck laying egg thing would be great

Oh I'm glad I read this thread....
I have never seen a pom-pom believe it or not
I think I would have rushed mine to the vets thinking he had the worlds biggest tick!

I learn somethin new everyday
big_smile.png

When they were young looking up at a passing airplane....

IMG_2457.jpg

chickenstuff012.jpg

Now..but they really didn't change colour all that much
IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

after the hatchery where Frodo came from we have found out he is a mallard/crested mix and all male LOL right now he has been breeding the black female daily and trying to breed the pullets so i think he is going to move into his own duck only yard this weekend

Hey Kerr -- your ducklings were so cute, thanks for sharing the photos!

Chickengirlnm -- My original Rouen drake is named Bilbo. Glad to know there's a Frodo out there somewhere!
smile.png

Last edited:
LOL! My other original ducks were named Gandolph and Galandrielle (my version of the elf queen's name). So I can't account for the other hobbits, except that we used to call them all hobbits because of the way they waddle.

I have two other ducks a rather large white pekin (hubby's boy) he is named Afflac and I have a female cuyaga named Ebony I really want to change the names so they can all be hobbits but hubby will not change Afflacs name (poor drake LOL )

but hubby will not change Afflacs name (poor drake LOL )

Agreed. It sucks to be stereotyped.
wink.png

Will you have more ducklings any time soon? Then you could have a whole cast of hobbits. I think ducks are well suited to hobbit names, myself.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom