How many treats are too much?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I am getting mealworms for the first time (only had my pullets for 4 months, first flock) and I have heard not to give them too many. So I don’t want to hurt my chickens. How many can I give them without making them sick?

Mealworms (and other forms of animal protein) are in a different category than other treats like scratch grains, vegetables and fruit because those things are low in protein. I don't think you'll make them sick but still I wouldn't go over 10% of the total intake with all treats combined but I lean toward preferring animal protein.
Chicken feed is already formulated to provide all the vitamins, minerals, fats and essential amino acids chickens are known to need at the ages the feed is intended for.

I had read once no more than they can eat in a few minutes, but whoever wrote that must never have seen my chickens ;).

IMO a couple of tablespoons per each pullet.

What Canoe said. A lot of people get fixated on protein but it's a balanced diet that is important. That includes fats, fiber, minerals, vitamins, and all kinds of things. You don't want any of them out of kilter. One way to estimate how much is not too much is if they can clean it up in about 15 minutes it is not too much.

Ok, thanks! I’ve just heard of not feeding them to much or making it their main source of food, and I wanted more details. Thank you! I will keep giving them a balanced diet, with a few mealworms;)

Back
Top Bottom