how many weeks before scratch?

krusty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
My 65 or so meat chicks are doing well at 1.5 weeks.

at what age can I give them scratch? I have no grit yet so just fed them fine ground scrtach powder out of my hand. Now they all run over to see me!

These should be ready in 8 - 9 weeks and are on track from a wight per week schedule as posted eslewhere.

(we need a drooling emoticon)

I'm relatively new here,but maybe the meat birds section would be a better place for this question. Most of the questions I've seen here seem to be oriented towards chickens as "friends", not "feasts".
roll.png

Friends vs feasts - funny

I think there are many people here who raise them and eat them - doesn't mean you can't be friends and treat them really well until then.

I have the big dual purpose birds and the feed store told me I could feed scratch in moderation without grit.

But added that I needed to feed grit when I gave anything else. I started giving mine grit at age 3 wks when I gave them meal worms and tender baby green grass.

Good luck with your little feasts
smile.png

It's Ok, meat birds can go in any section.....
smile.png
I try and treat my meat birds really good and give them a special and happy life before its Off With Their Head
wink.png

I have 3 week old chicks that I have been putting out for free range for a while every day, giving scratch and grit along wtih everything else I feed the bigger chickens. They seem to be doing great with it....very happy about it too

Point taken-just kind of creepy for a vegetarian like me to stumble on this posting. Thought if I avoided the meat section I would be (relatively)safe.
wink.png
The thought of my new girls ending up...well, you know....

hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom