how many weeks before scratch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by krusty, Apr 9, 2009.

1. krusty

krusty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2009
    My 65 or so meat chicks are doing well at 1.5 weeks.

at what age can I give them scratch? I have no grit yet so just fed them fine ground scrtach powder out of my hand. Now they all run over to see me!

These should be ready in 8 - 9 weeks and are on track from a wight per week schedule as posted eslewhere.

(we need a drooling emoticon)

2. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I'm relatively new here,but maybe the meat birds section would be a better place for this question. Most of the questions I've seen here seem to be oriented towards chickens as "friends", not "feasts".[​IMG]

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Friends vs feasts - funny

I think there are many people here who raise them and eat them - doesn't mean you can't be friends and treat them really well until then.

I have the big dual purpose birds and the feed store told me I could feed scratch in moderation without grit.

But added that I needed to feed grit when I gave anything else. I started giving mine grit at age 3 wks when I gave them meal worms and tender baby green grass.

Good luck with your little feasts [​IMG]

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    It's Ok, meat birds can go in any section..... [​IMG] I try and treat my meat birds really good and give them a special and happy life before its Off With Their Head [​IMG]

I have 3 week old chicks that I have been putting out for free range for a while every day, giving scratch and grit along wtih everything else I feed the bigger chickens. They seem to be doing great with it....very happy about it too

5. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Point taken-just kind of creepy for a vegetarian like me to stumble on this posting. Thought if I avoided the meat section I would be (relatively)safe. [​IMG] The thought of my new girls ending up...well, you know....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by