1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many weeks from delivery of chicks to outside in coop???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by michellerene, Apr 25, 2007.

1. michellerene

michellerene Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Graham, WA
    I am seeing that most supply places offer chicks through May, which means if we want chickens this year, I will need to place an order soon. We have plans for a coop, but no actual coop yet. How many weeks will the chicks be inside our house in a brooder? In other words, once the babies arrive, how long will we have to get their outdoor home & yard ready for them? Thanks!!! [​IMG]

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Depends on weather and how feathered out they are....We were able to put ours out at 5 & 6 wks. Before that they were in the garage in a brooder at about 3wks and did fine. I'm sure others with more experience will weigh in on this subject, but I know you need to be sure they are feathered out!

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    michellerene, Some breeds take a little longer to be fully feathered. It's best to wait until then, usually around 6 to 8 weeks old.

Peeps can become chilled otherwise. Best to wait that long in my opinion.

bigzio

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The first year I had chicks, they were in the house for a full 3 months... all 20 of them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by