How many whole chickens can you fit in your freezer?

mommyof4littles

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
It would help me alot in deciding how many to order if you guys could give me a heads up on what you can fit in what size space. I am looking at hens cornish x type from mcmurray. thanks!

I just bought a new freezer about 12cu ft that held 25 whole cornish X meatbirds.
Are you talking Cornish X or Cornish Hens??? Big difference.
If you can get your processor to halve them for you,it gives almost 2x as much space. Will

If you part them they take up way less room. Halfing them as stated is good too, but not as much so. But of course it depends on how you want to cook them, I do lots cut up skinless boneless so that they are ready to use that way. 30 birds will fit on one shelf of my upright freezer cut up that way. About 12 would fit in the same area whole.

I've never filled my freezer but if I needed room I would spatchcock
(butterfly) them which is how I roast a whole chicken. Thinking you could double or tripple the amount that you could put in a freezer.

ETA a video on how it's done:

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to give it a try. Since most of mine are bantams I got six in, but every time I treid another, one or two would fly out. So I'd say six.
lol.png

Quote:
We do the same thing here, Our chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese basicly go down to 4 bags, boneless skinless breasts, leg 1/4's, wings, giblets. Some we do keep whole for roasting.

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom