How many windows do you have in your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Oct 5, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have one currently and it doesn't let a lot of light in. So now I'm thinking I should be putting in a light or adding more windows.

I love the ideas of windows but framing them up (when I did it was a PITA) What if I cut holes in the coop, drilled in a piece of thick plexi glass, then put a frame around the plexiglass? I honestly just need more light in it. I've yet to get an egg.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have 1 big ole window. I have open air coops. 100% ventilation.

3. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    My coop sixe is 4'w x8'L x 4'H. I have 3 windows. 2- 24"x32" on one side, 1 -28" x 36" on the other. I also have 4 vents 6" x28".All the windows were salvaged from the garbage. The chicken like them so much it is hard to get them to leave the coop. I posted earlier about natural light and the general consensus is the more natural light you have the better. (all the windows open)
    If you use plexiglass and a frame ,my only concern would be in the summer it would be greenhouse. Put a couple of hinges on the windows and hardware mesh so they can open in the summer.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    The window I have is also salvaged from the garbage. I made a track for it to slide open and shut. It's small though, and even though I have a run for my girls the chickens spend most of their time inside and the rabbit spends most of her time outside.

5. smokinjay

smokinjay Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    In a 4x8 coop I have 3 26x26 inch windows. One on east side and two on the south side.

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, In our 10' x 12' hen house I have 5 windows 3' x 4' , 2 sets(pair) and 1 single. Lots of light and ventilation.
    Erik

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our coop is 5 x 10 and it has 5 windows. 2 on one long side, one on the other (also a door there without a window) and one on each end. There are also vents cut out near the roof on two sides. I love how light it is in there.

8. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I had 2 windows installed in my barn, and a horizontal sky light strip down the length of it. I tinned one wall with bright white so it is well lit.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    My 5X8 has 3 windows that open. One window with glass that's my clean out door doesn't open, unless the door is open, but it does let light in. In the morning if I'm not down there in time to suit them, I'll find them standing at the door window wondering why they can't get out that place.

10. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    None. The people door, half of one wall, and all the way around the top of the walls below the roof are all open. Lots of hardware cloth, light and air. If I needed more light (or ventilation) I'd cut a hole and cover it with hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by