How many wine makers do we have here?

Muscadine wine anyone?
droolin.gif

How much did you get, how much will it make - looks bountiful!

Well, this is the last bottle of last year's pineapple wine. I'm just about to rack the pear/cranberry before starting on the next batch. What should I make?

Muscadine wine anyone? :drool
How much did you get, how much will it make - looks bountiful! [rule] Well, this is the last bottle of last year's pineapple wine. I'm just about to rack the pear/cranberry before starting on the next batch. What should I make?
I have a total of 16 gallons. I"m not sure how much it will make. I am trying to do my calculations now. One of the guys that let me pick some of his muscadine lives on literally hundreds of acres. His house is about 1 1/2 miles from the road. His muscadine vines are literally about 1 mile long. I was overwhelmed when I saw it. I was not able to tackle all of that alone. So, I say that to say that he has told me to go over at any time and pick whatever I need and want. That is a mouthful to tell me that. So, I will start these 16 gallons and will try to go back more muscadine and probably make more and then freeze a lot. I want to do preserves as well.

My cucumber pre-wine is bubbling right along. It doesn't have the airlock on yet, I'll get the veggies and fruit out Sunday and seal w/ airlock then.

My cucumber pre-wine is bubbling right along. It doesn't have the airlock on yet, I'll get the veggies and fruit out Sunday and seal w/ airlock then.

What is "PRE-WINE"?

When the yeast is pitched, and it starts to bubble, it is fermenting, and needs an airlock PDQ. You say you aren't doing the fruit until Sunday? What are you waiting for? This is a very bizarre recipe you are following - I hope it turns out okay.

I think I'm going to start a small batch of muscadine tonight. There are 2 different ways that I want to try. I will try the "hooch" way and then will try using a recipe. I kinda like my hooch wine. I love the ABV of 13% . :drool :oops:

What is "PRE-WINE"?

When the yeast is pitched, and it starts to bubble, it is fermenting, and needs an airlock PDQ. You say you aren't doing the fruit until Sunday? What are you waiting for? This is a very bizarre recipe you are following - I hope it turns out okay.
Pre-wine is just my made up term. A lot of recipes that have whole or chunked fruit that I saw had 1 week of having the fruit in the water w/ all the ingredients then taking the fruit pulp out after 1 week and placing the air lock on, is that not right????

Quote:
Well, I could see leaving sugar on chopped rhubarb for a couple of days, perhaps 3 even, in a covered bucket. But I wouldn't let it go any longer - if I wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't ferment it and fruit attracts so many bugs that carry diseases, not to mention any contaminants that may be on the skin, or on your hands while processing that can be transferred.

Maybe I'm just being overly overcautious. But then I freeze my fruit to aid in juice extraction, so I don't need to let it sit.

Evening one (Sunday maybe) Prepare must and add K-meta
Evening two, (24 hours later) add other stuff (acid, tannin, pectic enzyme etc) and pitch re-hydrated yeast. Add airlock to fermentor.

It should start to bubble within 24 hours. I like to keep air out from the time the yeast is in so nothing can contaminate it. Then I just wait.

Let us know how your method works out for you - take notes, starting brix, ending brix, fermentation temp etc.

So, this is the pear/cranberry, ready for the first racking and top up. If you can get them, (they aren't cheap) try the new lightweight bottles of food grade plastic or something. They are so much easier to handle, plus as they come in six gallon sizes, you can be sure or getting the full five gallons after you rack!

Well, I could see leaving sugar on chopped rhubarb for a couple of days, perhaps 3 even, in a covered bucket. But I wouldn't let it go any longer - if I wouldn't eat it, I wouldn't ferment it and fruit attracts so many bugs that carry diseases, not to mention any contaminants that may be on the skin, or on your hands while processing that can be transferred.

Maybe I'm just being overly overcautious. But then I freeze my fruit to aid in juice extraction, so I don't need to let it sit.

Evening one (Sunday maybe) Prepare must and add K-meta
Evening two, (24 hours later) add other stuff (acid, tannin, pectic enzyme etc) and pitch re-hydrated yeast. Add airlock to fermentor.

It should start to bubble within 24 hours. I like to keep air out from the time the yeast is in so nothing can contaminate it. Then I just wait.

Let us know how your method works out for you - take notes, starting brix, ending brix, fermentation temp etc.
Oh my, sorry this is my first ever attempt at wine making, and I went w/ just the barest of essentials I didn't want to put money into something I might not like or do again. I got the additives, air lock and food grade bucket. Am going to rely on time rather then hydrometer readings, and put a few campden tablets in before bottling to make sure fermentation is complete. I know not the most technical way, and definitely not the "best" way and if this is something I continue to do I will get the real supplies as I can afford them.

I did put the air lock on though. Hope I didn't ruin it by not placing it when I added the yeast.

Back
Top Bottom