1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many would you put in this coop/run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oceanseve, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    We are planning our next coop and are having an arguement of how many would fit. Mostly heavy breeds, Lorps, orps, brahmas, and some ameraucanas

Coop - 8'x4' (slanted roof 6' front to 4' in back), 4 (could do 6) nest boxes, 3-4 4' roosts.

Run - currently 10' x 4 1/2' and we are talking about adding a 3 1/2' x 7' section to it. We are wanting to keep the run "shadowed" by the coop to shield them from view from the street just in case. Its currently about 3' high so if we need more outdoor space I was thinking about making a second level on part of it, what do you think?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Looks like 8 would be pushing it.

3. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    keep 8 in a 4 x 7 with 6 nest boxes. I expect them all to PRODUCE! The run is abpout 25 x 10 though. Take a look at the links below.

4. 6chix

6chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Western Ma
    I wouldn't put any more than 6 hens in there. The coop is adequete for 8 but you really need to have 8-10 sqft of run per bird. What you have for run now is going to be crowded for 6 birds.

I have 25 birds in 2 coops one is 4x8 and has 8 birds the other coop is 8x12 for 17 birds. I have over 350 sqft of run and its not enough in the winter when the girls can't free range.

5. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't remember the exact requirements, but I'm thinking about 6...could do 8 I guess.

6. snixter3

snixter3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    I read somewhere that you should have 4 square foot of space per bird in the hen house.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree entirely with what everyone else has said. Just wanted to add, if you get harsh nasty winters you might want to go with fewer yet. (I'd say 'OTOH if you live in a year-round mild gorgeous climate you might be ok with a few more' except your run is barely big enough for 6-8, putting more in there would really not improve your odds of a healthy happy peaceful flock).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Our weather is pretty moderate, any extreme cold weather is only for a day or two. Our heat waves are far worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by