how many years will a buff orpington lay eggs for

A hen will lay intell she dies some will lay longer depends on how much there feed sunlight in the winter etc... Hope i helped

ok... I read that like 3 or 4 times and it still doesn't make sense. So a hen will lay until it dies, and some will lay after they die? I'm No expert but I'm pretty sure that's not possible...
roll.png
lol.png

Quote:
ok... I read that like 3 or 4 times and it still doesn't make sense. So a hen will lay until it dies, and some will lay after they die? I'm No expert but I'm pretty sure that's not possible...
roll.png
lol.png

Yeah, I'm with you.

So far I've only had two hens die, but neither of them laid any eggs after that as far as I can tell.

i was also wondering how long they lay. I have 4 about 2 1/2 yrs old and love them. They are very sweet and friendly but have been told that they will stop laying soon. I love the eggs but also love them. Even if they only lay a couple a week would be alright with me. you all have given me hope.

Up through 2 or 3 years of age is their prime egg production years. After then you can expect a drop from nearly one per day to a few per week or less. Expect a drop in production or no eggs for months during their molting process. Everything varies depending on the breed, chicken, and other conditions.

Just keep in mind the older a hen gets the fewer eggs she will lay per week.

For example I have an EE that is 5 + years old. The first year she laid 6 eggs a week. The second year she laid 4-5 but they were larger so I was more than happy. The third and fourth year she laid about 3 per week, lots of them are double yolkers. This summer she laid 2 per week most weeks.

So, I am thinking she may lay a few more years, but fewer eggs per week. Also her egg shell quality is getting poorer with each passing year. She is my only pet chicken, so she is going to be around as long as her health holds up.

Back
Top Bottom