how many

bagendhens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Outside the Boundries
plan is to build a 4 x 4 x 4 ft coop itll have a good sized run attatched of at the least 6 x 10 x 7 ft of which part of it will be covered., hens will only be locked in at night and will have acess to the run the rest of the time plus will have "free range" time in the afternoons (when someones home to watch them) on our 3/4 acre.
standard sized hens only, no meat birds, no roos.

so taking into account just basic space (nest boxes will be attatched externally so will NOT take up interior room.)

Standard is usually 4 sq ft per chicken. That would mean 4 chickens for you. You may be able to push it a little bit with 5, but it can get crowded and fights can break out fast if they have to be cooped up during the day (raining, cold weather, ect). Once problems arise, it's hard to reverse them. If you have 4 (or 5) chickens you'll probably only need one nest box, but I'd put two just in case.

I was told that you had to have at least two square feet of space for each bird. If that is the case then I have no more than 8. But I'm no expert so other opinions should be weighed.
jumpy.gif
Even with eight hens two nest boxes should be enough though. I have 11 hens and they all seem to like the same exact nest box.
hu.gif
From time to time they use one other nest box but rarely. And I have four nest boxes for them to choose from.
hmm.png
Anyway, I hope this helps.

I agree with Hungyhensfarm. With those dimensions somewhere between 4-8. Sounds like you are planning on eggs (hens only). If so, I would go with 3-4 nest boxes. they will probably all use the same one, but if you get a broody or just a slow layer, the other hens will pitch a fit! It's fun to watch, but you don't want an egg hunt in the run everyday.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom