How meny chickens do you think i can get in here?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicken Girl, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have 15 chickens right now. I have 26 on the way. Now some might die and i will be doing a biger run.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At one time we had about 20 full grown meat birds and 13 teenagers. They all had room to move. I will have to do a biger run.

Chicken Girl

2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Songster

4 square feet per bird in the hen house and 10 sq feet per in the run.

3. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    If your coop is 8x10 (I'm guessing based on photos) you can put 20 chickens in your coop. Very nice coop. One suggestion is that I'd add more roosts. [​IMG]

4. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I think its 9ft wide ( i know for sure i measured!) And maby about 15ft long. It was 18ft long befor we put up insalashion (spelling). I should be abel to get 31 in there. I have 4 roos so i might have to butcher some. lol Do you think it will ba ok to put all them birds in ther? I will be building a biger run. And i think you are right i do need more roosts. Thanks!

Chicken Girl

5. Are you set up to quarantine the newbies? It would be a shame to bring pests/disease into that healthy flock...

6. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I will in side the coop. They should be ok. Right? They are going to be babys. And they will not have there shots. I had a hen hatch some babys and i did the same thing i am going to do for the other chicks and they are ok. Will i have to seperate them?

Chicken Girl

7. felix4580

felix4580 In the Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    nantucket
    you could easaly fit 50+ birds in that house. you need more roosts and you dont need that many nest boxes but since u have them there fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: