How messy are 2 ducks?

Linc

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
Im in southern California. I have 2 hens now in a eglu cube( expensive but best darn tractor coop by the way) I was planning on getting 2 ducks for eggs, probably Welsh Har. and Cayuga. my back yard is 50 X 40ft grass and plating beds. I would have my 2 ducks in a coop tractor and slowly move it around so the grass doesnt get hammered. the ducks would be loosed during the day in 1/2 the yard 25X20ft alternating. I live in suburbs with the neighbors right close. Do you think the mess from these ducks would be very much. Would they turn all this yard into mud? what are your thoughts and experience. TY so much in advance.

I had 2 male Pekin ducks for a short time in the city. I don’t recall the exact size of the yard, but our chicken pen was 10’x20’. We had 3 hens as well. The ducks were a huge mess. There wasn’t room for a kiddie pool in the pen, so we kept it in the yard & let them out every evening to use it. They had a large dog water bowl in the pen. They made the water a muddy mess almost immediately after filling it, (the pool, too) then they would move to the small automatic waterer & do the same. They dug holes in the mud around the bowls with their beaks. After a couple weeks we decided that the ducks in our small city backyard were not a good idea, & returned them to their previous owner.

Have to agree. I love my ducks, but I have two acres and a creek for them. They really hit the grass hard and do turn everything to mud. Plus they dapple and make little holes everywhere. I know that there are a lot of folks on here who have muscovy ducks and say that they are not as into playing in the water as other breeds so maybe they would be an option? Dunno though - I have no experience with them.
Maybe call ducks?

As long as it's not too rainy, I think you'd actually be fine, with only a few ducks. 50x40 ft is a relatively large area. In fact, when it's dry, my 33 Muscovies would take a long time to turn that space into dirt/poop/mud, like several months. When it's wet, it would only take them a few days.

Muscovies do drill and play in water. I don't yet have other ducks to compare with, but if there's water or mud around, they'll certainly spend plenty of time in it.

So I have both. I had 10 khaki campbells and every year we go up to what is probably 60 muscovy juvies and adults together. The khakis are messier than all of them. The muscovy will still camp out by the nipple waterer and slowly drain it dry as entertainment, but the khakis would hold the buttons down for a duck shower (no matter how many pools I gave them!). I got sick of mess and constantly filling the waterer so I sold all but three khakis. The mess magically went away and we only went through half a waterer a day. The muscovies still need a nose rinse bucket in the winter and really love pools about once or twice a day, but at least in my experience, they do not LIVE in the pool, only to get out and drain the waterer and go snort mud. Now muscovy don't lay well, and they act more like my geese, so if you want a real ducky experience, go mallard species (like the campbell, pekin, runner, buff). Or just try both and see what works. Although as fair warning, both kind of duck can be bullies along with the mess factor-although not nearly as big a bully as geese- so you may not want to house them together at all.

But I admit, I am a duck enabler and am partial to muscovy.

My two ducks in a 6x10 enclosure. They get forage time twice a day. I removed their pond and it helped a lot! They get to swim when they forage. Grassy picture was on the 9th and muddy was the 26th.... This is also due to living in swampy Louisiana though.

Attachments

• FFFC1906-6788-4346-B262-0DF5F5007A92.jpeg
    FFFC1906-6788-4346-B262-0DF5F5007A92.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 60E8DD89-B5D8-4222-B2E1-DB94D41BA8CF.jpeg
    60E8DD89-B5D8-4222-B2E1-DB94D41BA8CF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 123
  • 73D177F4-B542-4164-8539-9967E1113DF4.jpeg
    73D177F4-B542-4164-8539-9967E1113DF4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123
  • E78813F0-1D8C-4D3A-AA48-DEA2584B3215.jpeg
    E78813F0-1D8C-4D3A-AA48-DEA2584B3215.jpeg
    799.2 KB · Views: 121
My two ducks in a 6x10 enclosure. They get forage time twice a day. I removed their pond and it helped a lot! They get to swim when they forage. Grassy picture was on the 9th and muddy was the 26th.... This is also due to living in swampy Louisiana though.
Wow, 2 ducks, 2 weeks its amazing how they have laid waste to the area. But im sure you love those little piglets. lol I wish I had more room to have them. TY so much for the pics and imput. That has made up my mind.

Back
Top Bottom