How MIL saved us some money on our grocery bill

There is no shame in applying for and receiving assistance from our government. I'm sure those people have paid their fair share of taxes in the past and food stamps and WIC are there for them when they are down on their luck. Also, the people who work there understand and are empathetic. If you ever encounter anyone who tries to make you feel ashamed or are not deserving, you need to report them to their supervisor, because it is against Federal law to treat anyone that way.
smile.png

that's so true about the assistance programs. when we were expecting our first child, (14 years ago, yesterday as a MOF!) we tried to apply for WIC, because we had it so tight. we made $50 a year too much! it was heart-breaking.

my Granny always says, "If you don't ask, you don't get." so ask. we pay into it, someone should use it!!!

Bummer - just went to the website to see if there was a distribution center close to us - nothing in N.Calif. Some down in S. Calif., but not a one around here. I was hoping there would be something close because I work with a number of disadvantaged families and thought this would be something they could really use. Oh well
sad.png

Liz

call or e-mail them and see if they will find a host church to start one. that's pretty much how it works. people from one church train at one already set up.
for the church, it is an outreach, for the consumer a blessing.

Quote:
There wasn't one close to here till recently.They had to find a place that had the freezer space to store the food.I'd call & ask them like miss_jayne
said.

I'm pretty sure the income levels are much higher now. Please don't be afraid to ask.
smile.png

so not afraid to ask, just don't need to anymore. my DH went to his boss years ago and (being not afraid either) simply asked for more money.
big_smile.png

and he does all the time! we even got a huge bonus when we moved to the sticks...the boss said, "You should live where you want." (is that awesome?!!?)

i still utilize the Angel Food Project, cuz, if i wanted to waste money, i could light it on fire and throw it in the yard!!!
wink.png

thanks BearSwampChick...sometimes people need to be reminded that it's okay to ask for help.​

Thanks miss_jayne and bayouchick, I will send them an e-mail and see if we could get something up here. What a great service and thanks again for letting everyone know about it!
Liz

enjoyed super awesome steak tonight from my angel food...it was delicious...after all these posts, i almost forgot to go pick up my orders last saturday...glad the church called and reminded me...

Back
Top Bottom