How much am I to feed my chickens?

As much as they want! - - That is, if they are eating chick feed.
wink.png

They may be little piggies, but as long as you are feeding chick feed and plenty of water there should be nothing to worry about.

If you are sensing something really abnormal about the crop swelling, or if you're not sure if it's the crop, you might post a picture here so we can see what's going on.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your babies!
smile.png

Not sure if you can see it on the pic?
SD531047.jpg

but it is the left side if you are looking.

This is a side view of one of the birds
SD531045.jpg

They all have it. They mostly get just the feed. But they are outside. As it is hot in south FL. So they have been getting grit. But they have grass and hay in the run part of the coop.

I was shocked at how much feed my little ones were eating. I guess I still am. So far, I've had them exactly 7 days. And, ten 2 - 3 week olds have eaten almost 25 lbs of medicated chick starter. That's a lot more than I thought they would eat.

I'm hoping they slow down. That is double the budget I had planned on for long term.

Ah! They are older babies. Just look like regular piggies to me.

If they are old enough for outdoors/coop, just check them in the morning when they come out. The crop should be flat when they wake up. Any other time of day it can be full/partially full.

The only time you'd really worry is if the crop fails to empty overnight. . . or if there is swelling in any other part of the chest or body.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

I am sorry yes older. They are 5 weeks yesterday:D
But i will try to beat them up in the morning. They get up before the crack of dawn.
But thanks so much for the help. I am hopeful they are just piggies. All my other pets are.
big_smile.png
well a good weight.. not over weight. SO I just try to keep the food dish full.
Wow I hope they slow down at some point
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom