1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much Apple Cider Vinegar?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Beadie eye, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Beadie eye

Beadie eye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Hi all,
    how much ACV would you recommend for a 2.5ltr drinker, how often, what does it do?
    Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I rarely use it any more but a teaspoon to a tablespoon for that size container. It is an inexact science.
    If it isn't raw or organic, it won't do much but acidify the water helping to keep the slime down.
    If it is raw, it adds beneficial enzymes.

3. Beadie eye

Dec 8, 2015
    Hi ChickenCanoe,
    thanks for your information I have organic ACV so will give it a try.

4. hollyanne0

hollyanne0 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Parker, Colorado
    My Coop
    I was told one teaspoon per gallon.

5. hollyanne0

hollyanne0 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Parker, Colorado
    My Coop
    Also you should have it in a plastic container, not a metal container. The apple cider doesn't react well with the galvanized steel so be sure you are using PVC or plastic drinking containers when you use ACV. Hope this helps.

6. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I know they say not to use it with metal containers but what about chicken nipple there is metal in those would it be corrosive on them causing them to leak?

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All of the nipples I've seen are stainless steel components so that won't be a problem.
    Galvanized and raw steel will be eaten up by the acidity.

8. Beadie eye

Dec 8, 2015
    Hi,
    my drinkers are plastic and the ACV is in a glass bottle so should be ok. There seems to be differences of opinion on the quantity so I will go for something inbetween to start with. Thanks to all who have replied.

9. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Recommendations are for 1-2 TBSP per gallon. 2.5 L would be about 3/4 of a gallon, so 1 TBSP should suffice :)

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've read many different things ACV is supposed to do. Mostly it seems to be a tonic that one might use once a week not everyday water. If you yourself take ACV for health would you add it to every glass of water you drink? I used ACV for the hottest days of summer but then just switched to the vitamin-electrolyte powder one gets for chicks. The feed store in my new location doesn't sell that in the small yeast size packets so bought an 8oz packet that cost $4.29 and will last years. Used for any post stress/injury, hottest days of summer (replenishing cold water several times a day too) and for first few days of hatched/shipped chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by