Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 15$

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 20$

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 25$ or more

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
I think selling straight run chicks is the easiest way to go profit wise. For decent breed layers in my area you pay $10-$25 for heritage/specialty hybrid (Olive egger etc) chicks, a production pullet at point of lay runs $17-20 and started pullets (6weeks) of similar breeds to the aforementioned chick $60+. It all comes down to cost of feeding them, especially with cockerels from non sex-link varieties eating but being harder to get rid of!

I think selling straight run chicks is the easiest way to go profit wise. For decent breed layers in my area you pay $10-$25 for heritage/specialty hybrid (Olive egger etc) chicks, a production pullet at point of lay runs $17-20 and started pullets (6weeks) of similar breeds to the aforementioned chick $60+. It all comes down to cost of feeding them, especially with cockerels from non sex-link varieties eating but being harder to get rid of!

Thanks for the response! It’s hard to price rare breed chickens when not a lot of people have them!

Thanks for the response! It’s hard to price rare breed chickens when not a lot of people have them!

Bear in mind, as @Brahma Chicken5000 mentioned, every market is different, and it depends on multiple factors... and it’s always easier to lower your price than raise it! I’m not familiar with your specific breeds or location, but to give comparison price point, here decent lines of Ayam Cemani average $100/chick, $25/egg.

Bear in mind, as @Brahma Chicken5000 mentioned, every market is different, and it depends on multiple factors... and it’s always easier to lower your price than raise it! I’m not familiar with your specific breeds or location, but to give comparison price point, here decent lines of Ayam Cemani average $100/chick, $25/egg.

I sell all hatching eggs on eBay and would be selling all my chicks and chickens online instead of locally.

Quick question, are they mixed or purebreed. That will make a difference. Average everyday layers its probably going to be about $20.

You could see what hatcheries would charge for the same started breed. Murry McMurry has a large assortment of started birds and would be a useful comparison.

Quick question, are they mixed or purebreed. That will make a difference. Average everyday layers its probably going to be about $20.

You could see what hatcheries would charge for the same started breed. Murry McMurry has a large assortment of started birds and would be a useful comparison.

I have lots of different breeds and mixes so it’s hard to price things.

I sold 1 year old LF PC hens for $20 a piece, added another $5 for trios. They sold fast at a tailgate swap meet. I also had chicks about a month old and I got $3.50 a piece, all sold. At one point I thought maybe I under priced them but since it was more about fun with my kid and enjoying a hobby, I think it was a fair price for healthy pure bred birds that I took great care of. One important thing is they cant be missing feathers, sickly looking, old or mixed breeds in twisted up, undersized dirty cages. Like an animal shelter, mixed breeds sadly aren't worth anything. I think it may be better for the hobbyist to concentrate on one favorite breed if they intend to sell.

Back
Top Bottom