how much are my chickens worth?

kelsey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
im not sure if this is the right place to post this but i have a few questions.

this weekend i am going to a local chicken swap. i have a few chickens that i am looking to sell but im not sure what a reasonable price to ask would be. any help is appricated. does anyone know what a reasonable asking price would be..i can get pictures if that would help....

A Lavender orp rooster about 9-10 months old. he is a healthly bird and pretty big. when i brought him as a chick he was $6, the guy said that they are worth alot more than that.. but im not sure

A Light Bramah Bantam that is 9-10 months she is already laying.

A Porcelain D'uccle she is about the same age and laying as well.

A Silverduckwing OEG bantam pair. im not sure of the age but they are about a year old.

2 ancona hens and a rooster. i think they are close to 6 months but not exactly sure.

I also have 2 buff orp babies and 1 rock..what is a reasonable price to ask for them?

Does anyone know what prices are reasonable to ask for these birds...sorry if this is the wrong fourm i wont sure which to put it on.

Lavender Orpington - How good of quality is he? Truthfully most out there aren't worth much at all because they're terrible in type when you consider that they should look like Orpingtons. Most look to me like Javas or something, mainly because most Lavs have been bred for their "pretty color" not the breed type. So, the question is, how good is he? He'd likely go at normal rooster price if not $5-10 above that.

All the rest - Depends on quality, where you got them from, etc. Basically depends on the demand for the breed and how good of type your birds are. If they're all hatchery based I'd say they all would cost around the same, average hen or rooster price, but if they're showable birds, the price may be more. The best thing to do is look at what other birds similar to them in your area go for.

The main things that make a chicken cost more than another is it being purebred and of good/showable quality, it being of a new or really rare color, or it being of high demand. But of course, there's always someone out there to over-price something you can find elsewhere for a lot cheaper and of the same value.

Demand can be a big variable here though. Even your Lavender boy, if he looked like say a Production Red in type but was still a Lavender colored bird, someone might want him for a good price because ya never know, your area might have no other Lavenders around. Or it might have a ton, making him very very cheap.

i dont know to much them but I have had a few people tell me that he is good quality...i got him from a breeder.

they arent very good pictures but they are the best i have with me now i will try to get some soon if they do not help.

Chickens don't have any sort of established value. They're worth whatever you can get someone to pay yoi for them.

Chickens don't have any sort of established value. They're worth whatever you can get someone to pay yoi for them.

That about sums up what a chicken is worth. What they are, where you are, and who you are selling too make all the difference. A $150 chicken in one area looks like dinner in another.

if i had a way to get that d'uccle hen i would but i dont have a way. can you post pics of all the ones you are selling?

hdowden....These are the ones that i am tryin to sell as of now... we decided to keep the D'uccle and get a male to breed her with..

Back
Top Bottom