How much Baytril for limping goose?

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
One of my American Buff geese has swelling of her ankle and a lump, likely bumblefoot, on the bottom of her foot. The avian vet is not available, but my small animal vet will provide Baytril. He wants to know how much she should get because he doesn't treat birds.

I got this off of an online formulary https://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/18.pdf

E1CD153B-D9CB-48B9-88EF-B7C15ABAF1FB.jpeg

There’s also this from birdpal products https://birdpalproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10-liquid-for-birds?_pos=1&_sid=c3079c07d&_ss=r

If you’re going to give him something that needs to be dissolved in water I recommend separating him from any other birds for the duration of treatment so none of the other birds are exposed to it, it can deplete normal gut bacteria so limiting its use to the bird that needs it is best for everyone’s health.

You can also leave @casportpony a direct message, she knows a lot about medications.

Last edited:
Thanks so much. I had to get to the vet clinic before noon. I had talked to the vet earlier, and he said to call with the dosage, and he would have someone get it ready. I found something online that suggested 1.6 cc liquid for a 13-pound goose. That's what I told the vet clinic person.

When I got there, there were 10 syringes loaded with a note that read, "This is a stronger Baytil, so .4 is right." Vet was otherwise engaged, so I didn't get to ask any questions. But, I still figured having it was better than not having anything until next week when the avian vet is reachable.

So, I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks so much. I had to get to the vet clinic before noon. I had talked to the vet earlier, and he said to call with the dosage, and he would have someone get it ready. I found something online that suggested 1.6 cc liquid for a 13-pound goose. That's what I told the vet clinic person.

When I got there, there were 10 syringes loaded with a note that read, "This is a stronger Baytil, so .4 is right." Vet was otherwise engaged, so I didn't get to ask any questions. But, I still figured having it was better than not having anything until next week when the avian vet is reachable.

So, I'm hoping for the best.
Yeah definitly message casportpony, she will have a better idea than I do.

I did send her a message but haven't heard back yet.

I went ahead and gave Golly the Baytril. I suspect the vet must have done a little research on his own since he scaled down the dose. I figured it was better to give her something than nothing.

Golly was a beast when I had to deworm her earlier this year, but she took the Baytril without much fuss. However, it clearly doesn't taste good; if she could have said, "yuck," I'm sure she would have.

I appreciate all your efforts/suggestions. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom