How much bedding do you need?

Chlorine Dioxide is incredibly toxic. To use it properly you are supposed to activate it and leave the area. It will destroy your lungs in very short order if you inhale it. For the one who commented that it spits out oxygen when it breaks down. Might want to read the rest of the pamplet there. the other thing it breaks down into as well is chlorine.

Aaron

Chlorine Dioxide is incredibly toxic. To use it properly you are supposed to activate it and leave the area. It will destroy your lungs in very short order if you inhale it. For the one who commented that it spits out oxygen when it breaks down. Might want to read the rest of the pamplet there. the other thing it breaks down into as well is chlorine.

Aaron
I must respectfully disagree with you. The media has done a great job of demonizing it.
I’ve taken it myself, as well as many people I know, to great effect. Nok-Out is a stabilized CD, so it does not need activation, and you don’t need to leave the room. In giant doses… sure… many things are toxic, in fact most things. But not in the doses you take for detox, and certainly not for the cleaning product I’m speaking of.
It’s used in a wide variety of applications across society & industry. As well as perfectly safe as a food grade decontaminate (restaurants/food facilities use it, because it can be ingested, unlike many other cleaners, without ill-effect), and water purification. I would argue CD is far & away better than fluoride for cleansing drinking water of contaminated & bacteria.
I’d say do a little more digging into this topic. You might be surprised what you find.
Here is a documentary on the topic. It is incredibly well-sourced & comes with a giant reference book with all of the published scientific studies to back what the narration of the documentary is putting forth.

https://theuniversalantidote.com/

Happy digging!
Much Respect,
-Crystal

Do you think that’s a good idea, to opt for the skirt? Or would hardware cloth on the ground not be the problem I’m envisioning?

The skirt is best.

We have a slight incline, where the coop & run is, so I think the rain will run off quite well.

That sounds great.

If possible, put on your rain gear, go out in a really torrential downpour with a handful of landscape flags and mark any areas where water either runs through in a channel or pools.

Then you'll know if you need to dig diversion ditches or install French drain.

The holes are small enough they don't let a lot of stuff get into the pipe, especially if you have gravel / rock around it,

Some versions come with a "sock" on them to filter out silt, etc..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/NDS-4-in-x-10-ft-5-PSI-Corrugated-French-Drain-Pipe/3136611

I was curious if anyone here have heard of Chlorine Dioxide for cleaning?

Unless you get some dire infectious disease or some other really unusual issue happens, your chicken coop should never require wet-cleaning, especially with a deep litter system in place.

Dry chickens are healthy chickens.

Just shovel out the litter when you want compost (it may need to be piled so it can mature), use an old broom to knock the cobwebs off the rafters, and add new litter. The remains of the old litter contains the necessary beneficial microorganisms to jump start the composting process on the new litter.

I must respectfully disagree with you. The media has done a great job of demonizing it.
I’ve taken it myself, as well as many people I know, to great effect. Nok-Out is a stabilized CD, so it does not need activation, and you don’t need to leave the room. In giant doses… sure… many things are toxic, in fact most things. But not in the doses you take for detox, and certainly not for the cleaning product I’m speaking of.
It’s used in a wide variety of applications across society & industry. As well as perfectly safe as a food grade decontaminate (restaurants/food facilities use it, because it can be ingested, unlike many other cleaners, without ill-effect), and water purification. I would argue CD is far & away better than fluoride for cleansing drinking water of contaminated & bacteria.
I’d say do a little more digging into this topic. You might be surprised what you find.
Here is a documentary on the topic. It is incredibly well-sourced & comes with a giant reference book with all of the published scientific studies to back what the narration of the documentary is putting forth.

https://theuniversalantidote.com/

Happy digging!
Much Respect,
-Crystal
I have done research and when the FDA and other supposedly respectable sources say do NOT take it as a food additive, ingest it, or use it for medicinal purposes, I will take them at their word on that. I also know what it does as well as I have worked with it in the past myself. It's basically another form of Bleach, only more toxic.

But feel free to use it however you wish.
For the rest still on the fence, don't listen to either of us, do your OWN research.
A good start would be to look at the MSDS for the stuff. I'll use the liquid type first since that would be the diluted one
https://www.magnumsolvent.com/productdata/MSDS/chlorine-dioxide.pdf

some more info

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/TSP/ToxFAQs/ToxFAQsDetails.aspx?faqid=581&toxid=108

Here's another interesting take on it
https://coastalhealthdistrict.org/chlorine-dioxide-should-not-be-used-to-treat-covid-19/

read the entire page, not just the tag line. I'll cut an excerpt.

Products are being marketed online under various names: MSS, Miracle Mineral Solution, Master Mineral Solution, Water Purification Solution, CDS, Aqueous Chlorine Dioxide, and others.

Ingesting chlorine dioxide products are not meant to be swallowed by people, and can lead to:

• Respiratory failure
  • Potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms
  • Life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration
  • Acute liver failure
  • Low blood cell counts
  • Severe vomiting
  • Severe diarrhea
The Georgia Poison Center advises that chlorine dioxide not be swallowed, and not be used outside of industrial settings where appropriate precautions against injury from this chemical can be used.

===== snip ====

breathing is about the same as swallowing, it still gets into your body.

Here is more info:
this one is real nerdy
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Chlorine-dioxide

-------

i think this should be enough.

Again, people need to do their OWN research and don't just blindly listen to anyone else on anything that could be potentially life threatening.

Also remember, Birds are a LOT more sensitive to stuff that humans are, and things that would just give you itchy eyes will flat out kill them.

also remember, some of this stuff, is from the same morons who brought you the tide pod challenge on tic tard. So you can gargle with your chlorine dioxide, do the tide pod challenge, and every time you burp, you can do the laundry ! but at least when you fart, it won't be smelly because it ate your intestines on the way thru.

Please don't stare into laser with remaining eye either.
Margarine is safer than butter
Cigarettes are cool to smoke.
Agent orange won't harm you one bit
Have a swim in love canal to cool off
saliva causes stomach cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.
rats cause cancer.

------

seriously though, this stuff is so effective against germs and odors, because it pretty much destroys anything organic it touches. Birds are highly susceptible to fumes, tke teflon as an example. Im going to have to recommend against using this in a coop. if you get any fumes in there, it could harm them, just like bleaching the hell out of the coop and them getting into those fumes can harm them.

Aaron

Aaron
While I would agree that in overly large amounts Chlorine Dioxide can cause neurotoxicity, otherwise, it's generally safe to use and it does appear that it's used as a disinfectant in poultry farming:

http://www.purewaterent.net/poultry-disinfection-chlorine-dioxide/

I have done research and when the FDA and other supposedly respectable sources say do NOT take it as a food additive, ingest it, or use it for medicinal purposes, I will take them at their word on that. I also know what it does as well as I have worked with it in the past myself. It's basically another form of Bleach, only more toxic.

But feel free to use it however you wish.
For the rest still on the fence, don't listen to either of us, do your OWN research.
A good start would be to look at the MSDS for the stuff. I'll use the liquid type first since that would be the diluted one
https://www.magnumsolvent.com/productdata/MSDS/chlorine-dioxide.pdf

some more info

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/TSP/ToxFAQs/ToxFAQsDetails.aspx?faqid=581&toxid=108

Here's another interesting take on it
https://coastalhealthdistrict.org/chlorine-dioxide-should-not-be-used-to-treat-covid-19/

read the entire page, not just the tag line. I'll cut an excerpt.

Products are being marketed online under various names: MSS, Miracle Mineral Solution, Master Mineral Solution, Water Purification Solution, CDS, Aqueous Chlorine Dioxide, and others.

Ingesting chlorine dioxide products are not meant to be swallowed by people, and can lead to:

• Respiratory failure
  • Potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms
  • Life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration
  • Acute liver failure
  • Low blood cell counts
  • Severe vomiting
  • Severe diarrhea
The Georgia Poison Center advises that chlorine dioxide not be swallowed, and not be used outside of industrial settings where appropriate precautions against injury from this chemical can be used.

===== snip ====

breathing is about the same as swallowing, it still gets into your body.

Here is more info:
this one is real nerdy
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Chlorine-dioxide

-------

i think this should be enough.

Again, people need to do their OWN research and don't just blindly listen to anyone else on anything that could be potentially life threatening.

Also remember, Birds are a LOT more sensitive to stuff that humans are, and things that would just give you itchy eyes will flat out kill them.

also remember, some of this stuff, is from the same morons who brought you the tide pod challenge on tic tard. So you can gargle with your chlorine dioxide, do the tide pod challenge, and every time you burp, you can do the laundry ! but at least when you fart, it won't be smelly because it ate your intestines on the way thru.

Please don't stare into laser with remaining eye either.
Margarine is safer than butter
Cigarettes are cool to smoke.
Agent orange won't harm you one bit
Have a swim in love canal to cool off
saliva causes stomach cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.
rats cause cancer.

------

seriously though, this stuff is so effective against germs and odors, because it pretty much destroys anything organic it touches. Birds are highly susceptible to fumes, tke teflon as an example. Im going to have to recommend against using this in a coop. if you get any fumes in there, it could harm them, just like bleaching the hell out of the coop and them getting into those fumes can harm them.

Aaron
No need to get nasty. (TidePod nonsense, etc). It’s clear you’re not going to look at what I suggested. You made your mind up, and that’s okay.
But I’m certain CDC & the like are not necessarily where you should get your info from, given the last few years. 🤷🏼‍♀️
100% people, do your own research & think for yourself. I agree with you there. I’ll leave it at that.

Good night all! 🙏🏻

While I would agree that in overly large amounts Chlorine Dioxide can cause neurotoxicity, otherwise, it's generally safe to use and it does appear that it's used as a disinfectant in poultry farming:

http://www.purewaterent.net/poultry-disinfection-chlorine-dioxide/
If they are using it for water disinfection, it's done way before it hits the birds generally, like your city puts it's chlorine in your water typically at the pump / well station.

If it was to be used to disinfect their living quarters, I am pretty certain the birds would be removed first, in doing it's job it releases chlorine gas which is very toxic. So if you were to spray it around a coop to disinfect it, it'd be no different than spraying bleach around as far as the fumes are concerned. NOT a good thing for your birds to be breathing in. if the birds did breathe in chlorine dioxide, it'd probably immediately break down in their airway into oxygen, and chlorine gas. the chlorine gas then, would go on to do it's damage to them. If it was to be used, the coop would have to be thoroughly ventilated before letting them back in.

when you look at some of the cleaning compounds that use ClO2, for room sterilization, it's basically let loose in the room and then SITS there for a number of hours to continue to do it's dirty work. Then the space is thoroughly ventilated to remove the fumes before re entry. Unless you were absolutely sure there is no more 'reaction' going on, with the stuff you sprayed into the coop, it could still be out gassing hours later, and if you let your birds in, they are in trouble.

aaron

If they are using it for water disinfection, it's done way before it hits the birds generally, like your city puts it's chlorine in your water typically at the pump / well station.

If it was to be used to disinfect their living quarters, I am pretty certain the birds would be removed first, in doing it's job it releases chlorine gas which is very toxic. So if you were to spray it around a coop to disinfect it, it'd be no different than spraying bleach around as far as the fumes are concerned. NOT a good thing for your birds to be breathing in. if the birds did breathe in chlorine dioxide, it'd probably immediately break down in their airway into oxygen, and chlorine gas. the chlorine gas then, would go on to do it's damage to them. If it was to be used, the coop would have to be thoroughly ventilated before letting them back in.

when you look at some of the cleaning compounds that use ClO2, for room sterilization, it's basically let loose in the room and then SITS there for a number of hours to continue to do it's dirty work. Then the space is thoroughly ventilated to remove the fumes before re entry. Unless you were absolutely sure there is no more 'reaction' going on, with the stuff you sprayed into the coop, it could still be out gassing hours later, and if you let your birds in, they are in trouble.

aaron
Regardless of the fact that it's deemed safe in small amounts and is used in poultry (and livestock) farming as a disinfectant, I still wouldn't use it on or around my own flock simply because it didn't pass the "rat" test.

In rats, chlorine dioxide gas altered the structure of blood cells and prevented DNA formation in several organs. The changes in blood cells caused mild hemolytic anemia, a condition in which blood cells are destroyed and removed before their normal lifespan is over. Additionally, an oral dose of 14 mg in rats damaged proteins in their brain cells, demonstrating a potential for neurotoxicity. Makes me wonder if it could wreck similar havoc on chickens over time with continued use...? In MY OWN MIND, I'd think it's possible, which is why I'd personally choose not to use it on or around my chickens.

So to an extent, I actually agree with you but that doesn't mean I think @CrystalAnon is doing anything wrong.

With that said, we need to accept that other people are going to choose to do things differently and "differently" doesn't always equal "wrong."

Take a deep breath. :)

Back
Top Bottom