How much chick starter will get me through for only 2 chicks?

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
Has anyone figured it out? I have standard sizes only.

Hatched out 2 today... need to buy some feed for them...

Last spring with 4 chicks I kept buying it in small bags measured out by feed store...

Know I'll need at least the 25 lb bag.... but would a 50 lb be overkill and go rancid before the need to change over????

If you have a really good place to store it (dry, no bugs, no mice) then you could get the big one, but personally I would get the 25 lb bag.
~Rebecca

I would think the 25lb would last you a while with only two chickens. Like alalele said if its good feed nice and dry, no bugs or mice, you should be able to keep it in a sealed container and have it last.

I got some containers from Wal-Mart (O'neal I think, pet section) that have a locking, sealed lid, it holds a 50# bag easy. It's really strong plastic, and it has a smaller door that opens on the lid to get to the food.The brand is Bergan, they also have them at Petsmart (Airline). They are a little expensive $25-27, but we were ending up with spoiled food before, so it works out. If you have a large freezer, you could get a big bag, portion out gallon freezer bags, and freeze the rest. Or I have a Food Saver, we could do smaller bags that way..........

I just think you pay wwwaaaayyy more for smaller portions that if you get a big bag.

Last edited:
Thanks ya'll! I saw the early messages before I went to the Walker Friends store for the 25lb bag this afternoon Phoebe... I'm glad you mentioned the store... it's SO much closer and they are nice!

I agree about saving money with larger bags... and the sealing containers sound great! Few months back I bought 5 stackable bins for the wm online for about 16 a peice... great space savers in my shed but they don't seal good though. I agree that feed needs to be sealed if bought in larger portions than can be used quickly.

The stackable bins hold 50 lb bags and work best with the oyster shell and DE (still need to get that).. but also have more perishable food such as BO sunflower seeds, and cracked corn in the bins and that's questionable. Also the Layena but I go through the 50lbs of it fast enough even with only 3 full grown chickens!!! Boy they can eat!

Back
Top Bottom