How much chirping is normal for baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kara_leigh, Jun 1, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Sorry for all of the posts today. [​IMG]

I have 3 two week old Polish Crested chicks. All of my other chicks have been old enough and it's been warm enough out that we didn't need to use a heat lamp with them so I'm kind of winging it. We think we have the light at the right distance, but maybe not. How much chirping is normal from them? I'm trying to go by the idea that if they huddle together all the time then they are still too cold, but if they sleep spread apart they are too warm. They sleep next to each other, but otherwise they do their own thing when awake. They chirp a lot, though. Not loud chirping, just light chirping. Is that okay? The only time they seem to not chirp is when they are eating, drinking, or sleeping. Is that normal or are they still too cold? I have no clue....

Thanks!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

At 3 weeks, I would still provide them with supplemental warmth.

But the answer to the question in the subject line is: "Lots."

3. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Oh, they do have a heat lamp. [​IMG] They are two weeks old, there are three of them. [​IMG] I guess I worded my post wrong. I'm trying to figure out if I have it at the right height/temp. lol

4. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    chirping like little songbirds is good.
    Chirping like a smoke alarm going off means they are in great distress. sounds like your chicks are fine.

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Congrats on the new chicks! If you put a thermometer in near them ( but not directly under heat lamp) at 2 wks should be about 80 - 85 deg. and minus 5 deg. for each additional week old. Make sure no drafts in brooder.

6. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I used our digital thermometer that reads air temp, and it says that down by the chicks it is 82 degrees. [​IMG] They are currently in plastic storage container in our spare bedroom with the vents closed, so there shouldn't be any drafts. It's nice and toasty in there compared to the rest of the house. lol

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:What an excellent description!!! These are my first chicks and I had NO idea the variety of sounds they made, I love listening to them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by