how much coop space & run space do I need for 15 chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Grandma Quinn, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Grandma Quinn

Grandma Quinn Just Hatched

May 29, 2016
    Girard IL
    I have two 9x9 coops that are 8 foot high. I many will each coop hold? How much run space do they need?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi, and [​IMG]
    There aren't really numbers set in stone, but a good rule of thumb is about 10 sq ft per bird for run space, 4 sq ft per bird of coop space, and 1 ft of roost space per bird. You really should give them as much space as possible, though. Good luck!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi[​IMG] Welcome To BYC

A general guideline to follow is 4sq ft. of coop space for each bird and 10sq ft. run space for each bird.

So if your coop is 9' x 9' that is 81 sq ft. so one coop should house approx. 20 birds. This is all dependent on how the housing is set up with roosts and nesting boxes, etc.

More space is always best.

Photos are always welcome[​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with the answers you've already been given. A lot of it will depend on your flock, your climate, and your management practices. What works for 1 person at one location may not work for another in theirs. The flock is a very dynamic thing. And sometimes what we thought would work doesn't. Just be ready to adjust if you need to.

How many of your birds are you expecting to be cockerels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by