How much could 5 or 6 baby chicks smell in a brooder? Help!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I want to get some lavender orpington hatching eggs, but my mom said if they will smell to much I cant. How much would they smell? (please say not to much
fl.gif
I really want them!)

It depends. While they are inside, change the bedding frequently. I don't think they smell but to someone else, clean bedding is a good freshener.

If you change the pine shavings every few days you won't have a problem with smell. We put our eight chicks in a big rubbermaid tub with a heat lamp above them. The whole set-up was in the livingroom.
smile.png
When they were about 3 weeks old we built a 4 x 4 ft box and that was also in our livingroom for two weeks. Then they got relocated to our screened porch. There was never a smell.

One bail of shavings will last the whole time they're inside and you'll have enough to start with in their coop.

Last edited:
The larger the brooder and the more often you clean, the less smells will be present. I've raised 5-6 chicks inside in a brooder 3 different times. I used a LARGE dog crate each time (partially wrapped in cardboard to keep heat in), and cleaned daily, with very little smell. However, even with a large dog crate, my chicks have been moved to a coop before week 4.

Quote:
Ok, so if I clean it eavery two days, thats good enough? I REALLY want them, and they would need to be in the house for a while, and my mom doesnt like chickens, so it has to be not so smelly...

You will need to clean them as often as it smells which might be every day. Owning chickens is a responsibility. The older they get the more often you will change them. No lie they smell. If you keep them in the house.

Quote:
Ok, thank you all SO much, if she ever PMs me back I will get some (after my duck eggs hatch!)

If your mom doesn't like chickens maybe she just hasn't been around any hand raised chicks cause it is really hard not to fall for those friendly, quirky little girls.

Question for you..where are you getting your lavender Orpingtons?????????
big_smile.png

I can have up to 6 babies in my big bin that I bought from Walmart. No smell if I use a lot of shavings in the first place, then change it about twice a week. Get the biiiggesst bin you can find, deep too.

Quote:
Im getting them from a BYCer bargain.... (thats her user)

And thanks! Looks like I will have some cuties running around if they hatch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom