1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How much crumble feed should I buy????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gogoalie, May 24, 2011.

1. gogoalie

gogoalie Songster

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    For 12 chicks? I know the duration of feedin' them crumbles is 20 days & then you start feeding them raising food up until 16 weeks...so with that, I'd like to know how many pounds of crumbles should I purchase? Anyone know an approximate amount? Thanks...

2. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Songster

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Yeah.. get the 25 pd. bag. You'll use it up. It goes quick, and it is sad but a lot gets wasted and dumped in the brooder and tramped around. Can't be helped.

Also, I feed my chicks crumble the first 63 days. 9 weeks before I switch. I worry about cocci.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I had 12 chicks too. I honestly didn't keep track of how many bags I purchased. I do know that the 25lb bags went quick after the chicks passed the 2 week mark. I feed chick starter for the first 16 weeks.

4. hokankai

hokankai Songster

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    20 days?...it should be 6 weeks [​IMG]

I'd say for twelve go ahead and get a big bag! They tend to waste some and 12 chicks go through a LOT. We had 8 last year and bought several bags over the course of the 6 week period [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Get a nice big ol 50 lb bag, IMO! [​IMG]

6. dldolan

dldolan WineNChooks

Aug 11, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    Quote:Ditto. 12 chicks= tons of food! [​IMG]

7. clarkechick

clarkechick Chirping

May 24, 2011
    I have just 3 chicks coming this week. When I grabbed a bag of crumbles just to have on hand until I know what I will need I was VERY surprised to have the man at the store tell me it would only last a week! I am amazed that 3 tiny chicks could go through that (maybe 5 lbs) that quickly!

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

Chickens eat, and eat and eat. The feed is costly and buying less than 50# bags and paying the premium of a smaller bag is pointless. With 12 chicks, this is only the beginning. When they are near lay, 12 pullets will eat a 50 pounder in just about 15 days. Your future awaits!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have 8 chicks and buy the 50lb bag. Well, my husband buys it not me.

10. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    We have 27 - 3 week old chicks. I have not even finished the first 25 lb bag that I bought and they always have food available to them. The food that gets thrown around gets eaten if you leave it there. Chickens like to scratch, I let them scratch..I have not seen very much waste at all.

As for this :
    I have just 3 chicks coming this week. When I grabbed a bag of crumbles just to have on hand until I know what I will need I was VERY surprised to have the man at the store tell me it would only last a week! I am amazed that 3 tiny chicks could go through that (maybe 5 lbs) that quickly!

The man is on crack. In one week, 27 cheeks did not eat 5 lb of food.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by