How Much DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Should I Feed My Chickens

Very interesting division of opinions. Not unlike the controversy surrounding many food supplements people use for themselves. I found one study done with 16,000 chickens. They divided the population into 2 groups of 8,000 each. Not backyard chickens of course, but interesting anyway. There were a couple of significant differences noted. You can find the description here .

And since we are all entitled to our own opinions, and our lives are filled with more than enough tension, let's try to be patient with alternate points of view.

OP

Quote:
Very interesting. These are the same things I observe in my flock.

Diatomaceous Earth with Poultry

C.S. Mangen, DVM, San Diego, California

Using two groups of birds with each group consisting of 8,000 white leghorn caged layers in their pullet year which had been producing for five months. After feeding the test group 60 lbs. of diatomaceous earth per 1 1/2 tons of standard mixed feed (17% protein) for 2 1/2 months the following results were observed:

1. There appeared to be less flies around the test group.
2. Droppings are of a drier consistency, making for easier cleaning of the house.
3. 75% less deaths in the test group.
4. A 2-4 case per day increase in egg production by the test group as compared to the control group

60 lbs. per 1.5 tonnes = 2% inclusion rate.
smile.png

Last edited:
Dr. Risk Rasby, professor of Animal Science at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, states that although diatomaceous earth is known to kill insects, its effect on intestinal parasites in animals has not yet been reported.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5644674_human-nutritional-benefits-diatomaceous-earth.html

Hi,
I looked at this ehow.com Q&A. Turns out it's just an answer he provided to the question "What is your opinion about natural diatomaceous earth to cattle? Would DE dusted on cattle, kill flies?". His first paragraph says...

There is not a lot of research based information available using diatomaceous silica. Our nutrition group has conducted a trial to look at the inclusion in a feedlot trial and the effect on performance. They also looked at the effect of diatomaceous silica on some internal parasites. Diatomaceous silica is known to kill insects, but its effects on internal parasites and coccidiosis have not been reported.

He was referring to a study done with cattle in a feed lot to see if a food addative called Dia Fil would "finish" the steers better than what they were currently using. I read that study (done in 2000) before I saw this post. Although interesting it doesn't really provide much usable information on the general benefits, or lack thereof, of DE in the daily diet of chickens.

But thanks for participating in the conversation and getting us all to think about the importance of testing vs rumor.​

Last edited:
My personal experience with taking DE in a shake everyday is that I had stronger nails and longer hair which was unscientifically measured by comparing the number of days for hair to go from fresh trimmed length to the point on my shoulders that I cut it. I no longer had splits in my nails nor very many lines. I have since been lazy and stopped. Currently most of my nails are peeling off in layers into the bed. I believe it has had other effects but there is no way to measure them at home. Yesterday my ruffians got into the DE and ate some. Their poo was very good today compared to a bit on the mushy side.

Quote:
Wow... my mother has been bugging me for ages to find something to improve her nails and hair! She's tried pretty much everything in the cosmetics aisle, maybe this will work. It certainly can't hurt. What's your recipe for the DE in a shake? Thanks.

Bear Foot wrote:

"When given the choice of believing Dr's at universities who have done REAL scientific studies, or someone who based their theories on the shape of a chicken turd, who would the logical person choose?"

Logic is an interesting thing. Logic tells me that wind does not exist because I cannot see it. Logic tells scientists that a human track over one week old does not exist becasue there is no scientific equipment that can find it but even an untrained Bloodhound can find that trail. Hmmm...

I love this saying: There is something I do not know the knowing of which would change everything. I always amend this and say, "There is SO much I do not know..."
wink.png

Now that I'm done with my phlosophy musings I'll say that the out-of-control fly population around my chicken run is GONE with the use of food grade DE sprinkled on the run once/week. It's obvious to me why there is little research on DE - there is not a huge amount of money to be made off of this product. What else besides profit-to-be-made runs most research? I'm so glad I trusted in the large number of observations by intelligent chicken owners and started using the DE. Like most simple solutions it will probably long be questioned by those who require logic and reams of hard scientific data.

Now for a question - how do you feed the DE to your chickens if you are using mostly pelleted food with late afternoon supplements of fresh veggies from the garden, leftover food, sprouts, etc.? Will it actually "stick" onto the pellets so that the chickens ingest it or will it be wasted that way?

Thanks for helpful feeding suggestions!

Last edited:
I agree with almost every other person here- Bedding & Body only.
It was explained to me that the DE Physically kills external parasites with exoskeletons via slicing them.
though there is a "food grade" available , i don't see any purpose of feeding it to them.
are you looking to deworm your chickens?

Quote:
All DE used for your birds should be "food grade". The other types are harmful for you and all other living things. There are many different opinions on uses. It seems to always turn into a......passionate? topic here.

BTW- Nice to see another Tampa area member here.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom