How much DE do I use on Deep Litter?

Thanks for the colander idea, Micki!

MoALK - "DE" is an acronym for Diatomecious Earth. It's a natural substance ground into a powder that you put down which acts in your litter as a preventative and killer of fleas and mites. Look in the learning center for a discussion of the "Deep Litter" method, and that will lead you to more info. Sorry, I'm just learning how to include links, otherwise I would link you to more info directly.

My chicks are 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I've been putting a few teaspoons of DE in about a gallon-size feeder along with the medicated crumbles. Does anybody know if I still need to "worm" the chicks or will this prevent them in the first place?

In my 4' X 8' coop, I used just over one big bag of the shavings to get a depth of about 3 to 4 inches, and I used about 3 sifters full of DE in with the shavings. I use a sifter, but I just bang on the side of it with one hand, and that's a lot easier than using the spring-loaded squeeze handle.

Use whatever you have -- I was scared to use my hands because of all the posts about how DRYING the DE was to skin . . . but I just LOVE the way it feels (almost like talcum powder) and have my hands in it all the time! If I rinse and dry my hands within a few minutes afterwards, I don't get dry hands. It's certainly not as bad as many cleaners I have used, or even wash water with laundry detergent in it. Fling away!

I use a colander too, I think it works best.
I sprinkle it everywhere!!!
A layer under new shavings and well as sprinkle it on the food and all over and around the coop and pen. I also give it to my goats and sift it into the litter in their coop too.

As well as control fleas and mites, it EXCELLENT at controlling the flies.

Quote:
Check out the Food Grade DE page I've put together. The Wolf Creek Ranch website explains exactly what Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is.

Quote:
Quote:
Will,

I have just recently started using food grade DE in the indoor brooder.

After I'm done cleaning the brooder, and it's dry, I sprinlke a thin layer directly on the brooder floor and then add the pine shavings in on top of the DE. Skip and I have both noticed that it's helping to keep the brooder from smelling "chickeny" since it's drying out the pooh.

When I first started using it last year, our chicks were around 8 - 10 weeks old (if I remember, correctly). Since I've just started using it from Day 1, I've not noticed it causing any problems with the new chicks.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I use an old baby powder bottle to sprinkle my DE in the coop and the brooder. This way it goes where you want it to go. You can use a funnel to get the DE in the bottle but I just use the lid and scrape it in.

Does anyone use a dust mask when working with DE?

Back
Top Bottom