How much Diatomaceous Earth per 50 lbs. of feed?

As your local feed store to order it from their supplier. They usually will. You won't have to pay for shipping then.

I've noticed our local feed store has it broken down into smaller ZIplock bags for those that don't want to buy 50lbs of it.

Never hurts to ask. The worse you can be told is NO!
big_smile.png

And as far as the OP question, well I dunno as I don't use it. Sorry!

I bought a $50 lb bag today at my Local feed store (for those in the Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Arizona area, Higley Feed on Higley and Wiliams Field) sells it for $22.00.

Brenda

I bought food grade DE from wolf_creek_ranch on ebay last week. I only got a 6# bag because I wanted to try it out first (and I only have 5 chickens). I paid $18.50 and shipping was free. I got it within two days. I know you can probably get it cheaper per pound, but you have to pay the shipping with other sellers and that evens it up pretty much. This seller also sells in larger quantities...9# and 50# but I think he charges shipping on the larger bags. I'd recommend him, though!

I have bought medical grade diatom from www.diatomx.co.uk The site looked quite nice, has tons of information and does different types of Diatom but I bought the white powdered version as I have read it is good for cutting cholesterol levels, has anyone else experienced this?

Kate

ps, from what i have read, it has 90+% silicone which is good for you and less than 3% of this is crystalline silicone so it relatively harmless when inhaled. It is the cheaper stuff that is over 5% crystalline silica that can cause lung silicosis

90+% silicone which is good for you

LOL
Sand is mostly silicon. It's the most common element on the planet
It's ONLY "good" for those who SELL it to you..
Putting it in grain does NOTHING other than kill insects in the grain.

There is no benefit to feeding it to your animals​

Last edited:
Many people report decreases in internal parasites in humans and animals when food-grade D.E. is mixed in with food.

For DE to really help with internal parasites, it needs to be fed to your chickens pretty regularly, if not every day.

From what I've read different places, I'd expect about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs. D.E. would be a good amount to mix in 50 lbs. feed to help prevent internal parasites in your chickens.

old.gif
***EASY WAY TO MEASURE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH***
old.gif

1 sandwich-size Ziploc bag stuffed full of D.E. = 1/2 lb.

thumbsup.gif
A BYCer's page with info on Diatomaceous Earth:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1560-Food_Grade_DE

Quote:
I have found NO independant studies supporting the use of DE to kill internal parasites. The only studies I have found that support that hypothesis are by those selling it.

Back
Top Bottom