How much did it cost for you to build your own coop?

$1,200 for prebuilt customized coop with delivery.

$350 for a secured run with sand.

$300 for IP camera, WiFi extender, water, feeder, electrical, fender washers, screws and misc.

Comes to $205.56 per chicken or $1.27 per egg for the first year which I think is a great deal.

Raising chickens is a "cheap" hobby compared to most other hobbies.

Figure I have invested about $500 per fish for last summer's project.

Last edited:
Hello there-

My friend and I build one 2 years ago and it cost me 746.00 dollars that is including 2 windows and a metal roof over the plywood. Ihave 11 hens in there right now and the size is 4' wide x8 feet log.and tall enough that I can stand in it to clean it maybe 6-1/2 feet tall inside. got all the materials from Menards.

Good luck...

My first ever coop cost me maybe about ten dollars since the only thing I paid money for was the bolts, and nails I used to put it together with. All of the rest was entirely salvage. It wasn't pretty but it worked well for me in two different locations for a number of years.

I build tractors now and have long since run out of salvage material so those run into some bucks. They cost me around $250 each give or take depending on if I have any material left over from earlier tractor builds. Most I ever paid for poultry housing, but I keep telling myself that I get to amortize the cost over however many years each one lasts. The oldest one is over five years old now and still going strong in spite of being moved every day.

bought 2 old tables for 25$ stacked them leg to leg, and put sides on them so it lays down, built 6 boxes to put in it, and sold it for 125$ My total cost was 40$ in materials (including tables) and about 3 hours of labor. So 85$ for 3 hours of labor. I spent about an hour cleaning it all off to make it sellable. But im like A.T. if you can find the stuff in the junk pile, or buy somethings half way built for cheap.

I'm in planning process right now.. So far I'm calculating around 453$ for post and hardware cloth for just my run... I wanting my run to be 30x20 and 6ft tall.. I have 26 chickens coming in March from McMurray hence the big run in all my coop repairs and run build I estimate be around 600$....

We scored the 7.5' x13' dog kennel fencing for free. The coop is 6x8 and built of salvaged as much as possible. It ran about $250. We just added about 400'/sq to the yard with chain link fencing to match. That was pricey. $260, but hubby thinks it's safer than anything else. (And he's spending my money). We'll cover the top with chicken wire, and I have an electric fencer planned for the exterior top mad bottom of the fence.

Did you use a particular plan or guide to build that coop? It looks great! I'd love to find ways to mimic but have NO builder skills. Thanks!

Did you use a particular plan or guide to build that coop? It looks great! I'd love to find ways to mimic but have NO builder skills. Thanks!

In case no one answer, I got no builder skill ever but I bought a plan for garden shed ($15) combined 3 plans that I saw. Watched hours of YouTube on every different parts of What I want to make, like roofing, frames, walls, window holes, designs, copied multiple run ideas and almost every small details. Did it during weekends rented tools since I don't have any, asked store how to use it, never even held one before. You can do it if a big city person can do it like me. Imagination is unlimited.

I still need to gravel around, the run & coop, extend the run another 10', paint then landscape and plant vegetables on the front for my fam & chickens.

We are up to at least $500 and we got all the plywood for free
barnie.gif
It is still cheaper than buying one of similar quality.

Back
Top Bottom