How much did your coop cost?

My coop ran about $200. I recycled quite a bit of stuff. Received several rough cut 2x6's from father in law that he had laying under a tarp in his back yard. I used those for the rafters and to frame out the run.. My neighbor had a few sheets of leftover sheet metal roofing from when he built his garage. I had a couple 8 ft lengths of welded wire that was used to protect some apple trees. The base of the floor was built using wood that was being discarded from an above ground pool surround.

See thumbnails below and click to enlarge.

My coop was on my property when we moved there. It is a 12X20 added on to the back of the garage. Had a 30X50 6ft run on the outside. I am lucky so far. I am getting ready to build a breeding pen for my RIR so who knows what that is going to cost me.

We purchased a 8x16 shed off craigslist, he wanted $600 for it, but we paid $300! Then we had to get it from his house to ours which was about 30miles away. We hired a tow truck operator who had a special truck and it cost $150 to move it then to our property.
The run is another expense so realize that as well!

My building was an old shed that i rebuilt w the lumber that was good on it . shed i got free was going to b torn down.
then i went around on clean up week and got lots of lumber & chain link for the run ,& wire for the top of it and some windows and screens for the doors etc . all in all i think i spent about $40 for screws nails & harware evrything else was free
yippiechickie.gif

I haven't kept real close track but it think it's right around $500..
sad.png

I had to have those free eggs you know.
roll.png

I've been a framer by profession before and I just can't bring myself to use scrap lumber or fasteners.

Quote:
The framing was all done with the treated lumber from a deck we had removed a few years prior. The coop is now 4 years old. More than $1000 but worth every penny. We could have saved on the siding but DH wanted to use the a generic siding to match the siding on our house. Thanks to DH!

22047_p1010013.jpg

The only thing I would change is the doors so they swung out. Our fence is 6' high no cover and wraps around the back. I made the gate myself when DH was gone.

We spent ~$350, mostly on hardware cloth and welded wire fencing. We bought new lumber for the majority of the framing and had to buy new harware (higes, latches, etc.) and galvanized roofing. Luckily, we were able to used salvaged wood for the siding.

It was worth every penny.
smile.png

34118_coop_13_small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom