How much did your coop cost?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
pop.gif

I'm trying to plan my chicken building, and I'm getting up pretty high on price. So I need to see how much everyone else spent on theirs, and what you did to 'cut corners'. Thanks
smile.png

it cost me about $500 but i got a lot of free materials

freecycle is great for free building material

Mine was close to $1200 but that is for an 8' x 12' with an attached 20'x17' covered 7' tall run, automatic door opener, automatic watering system and built to withstand a direct hit from a falling space station. And it's pretty.
big_smile.png

i got mine for 100. found it from people who were not running a flock anymore. ck craigslist and newspapers and people that know other people.

So far, about $100 and I've gotten a lot of stuff for free, barter or very cheap.

I invested in a 6ft tall chainlink walk gate - for a pricy $55, because I couldn't find anything used and I was afraid that anything I built would cause me more frustration than a few meeeeesly dollars were worth.

I tried not to keep track but I think it's about $1200 right now for our playhouse coop and 6x10 run. And another $200-$300 to add a sloped roof before it snows. Grandsons are my excuse.
25641_boys_delight.jpg

hide.gif
free. we just fixed up an old shed on the property - used up all kinds of junk we found lying around. It aint the Ritz but its warm - dry and rather large!

Well, judging by some of you, I think mine wouldn't be so bad after all. Most of the lumber (2x4, 2x6 etc.) we already have, I'd just have to fork out about $200 for the sheet wood. I'm sure it will be more than that, once it's finished, but I guess that's not so bad. I'm planning a 12x16 building, with 16-24 'pens' inside. So we'll see if I can stay 'under budget'
wink.png
I couldn't imagine paying over $1000 for a chicken house!
ep.gif

Last edited:
My coop was $343 , but I had the trailer base. and the tin roofing was bought cheap from behind a friends pole barn, that he had left over. Otherwise it would have been another $150 to $ 250 more.

Back
Top Bottom