How much do chicks usually cost to buy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tdunst, Jan 14, 2008.

1. tdunst

tdunst New Egg

Jan 14, 2008
    Aberdeen, WA
    I'm thinking of getting around maybe 4-8 how much do they usually sell for?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends where you get them. Here hatchery type chicks go for 4-8 a piece, while I've seen "show quality" chicks go for upwards of 25 a chick. If you order from a hatchery, they are usually 2-4 each, but you have to factor in shipping, small order, and box fees. Pullets are usually about 10% or so more expensive than straight run.

3. tdunst

tdunst New Egg

Jan 14, 2008
    Aberdeen, WA
    Okay thanks

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    See if you have a feed store that will be having any chicks this spring. You can maybe pick an order from there. I orderd 4 chicks and got an extra free one, but my order because I didn't get more than 25 had an extra $25 fee on top of it. Ouch, ( of course didn't tell the husband that ), so my order was pushing $70 when all was said and done.
    Also check on line here to see if anyone will be hatching. Many of the folks sell/trade here. Put out a request. You never know.

5. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    where are you?

6. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    At the feed&farm here they were about 1.75 each, but that was 8 years ago

7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    you should be able to buy pullets for about 2 bucks at a feed store,even if you had to drive a few miles it would be cheaper than mail order for that many,feed stores dont make much on chicks its the waters, feeders, and feed they get you on

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    If you want variety, go through a hatchery, but if that doesn't matter, most feed stores will have decent layer type chicks in the spring. Around here, you can only get them from the feed store if you order in spring and then they only have 8 different breeds. [​IMG]

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:OUCH is right, $20 per bird (oh forgot the free one) so $14 a bird still OUCH for that I would have brought you a couple. MPC I bet [​IMG]

Are you looking for a specific breed? Where you located.

With gas prices, I guess if you have to drive 20 miles each way maybe best to order like above.
    [​IMG]

10. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    A farm and feed store in the town 20 mi north had quite a few different breeds for $3.50 each for sexed chicks and $2.50 each for straight run. Last summer we got 3 Doms, 3 Orps and 3 RIR, all are beautiful girls and laying well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by