How much do chicks usually cost to buy?

Depends where you get them. Here hatchery type chicks go for 4-8 a piece, while I've seen "show quality" chicks go for upwards of 25 a chick. If you order from a hatchery, they are usually 2-4 each, but you have to factor in shipping, small order, and box fees. Pullets are usually about 10% or so more expensive than straight run.

See if you have a feed store that will be having any chicks this spring. You can maybe pick an order from there. I orderd 4 chicks and got an extra free one, but my order because I didn't get more than 25 had an extra $25 fee on top of it. Ouch, ( of course didn't tell the husband that ), so my order was pushing $70 when all was said and done.
Also check on line here to see if anyone will be hatching. Many of the folks sell/trade here. Put out a request. You never know.

you should be able to buy pullets for about 2 bucks at a feed store,even if you had to drive a few miles it would be cheaper than mail order for that many,feed stores dont make much on chicks its the waters, feeders, and feed they get you on

If you want variety, go through a hatchery, but if that doesn't matter, most feed stores will have decent layer type chicks in the spring. Around here, you can only get them from the feed store if you order in spring and then they only have 8 different breeds.
hmm.png

Quote:
OUCH is right, $20 per bird (oh forgot the free one) so $14 a bird still OUCH for that I would have brought you a couple. MPC I bet
hu.gif

Are you looking for a specific breed? Where you located.

With gas prices, I guess if you have to drive 20 miles each way maybe best to order like above.
lau.gif

A farm and feed store in the town 20 mi north had quite a few different breeds for $3.50 each for sexed chicks and $2.50 each for straight run. Last summer we got 3 Doms, 3 Orps and 3 RIR, all are beautiful girls and laying well.

Back
Top Bottom