how much do ducks sleep?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by momie8x, Nov 23, 2012.

1. momie8x

momie8x New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    i have 2 ducks. i have never caught them sleeping. i can come home at 2 in the morning and they are quacking for me. midnight i step outside they are quacking for me. go to get the news paper in the morn, they are quacking at me. any time i step outside they quack for my attention. just wondering cuz i thoughts birds roost or sleep after dark?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    chickens sleep at night, ducks go through wake and sleep shifts day and night both. Ours sleep with heads tucked in the middle of the yards and pastures part of each day. they are light sleepers and if they hear you, doors ect they will wake up

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I don't think mine ever sleep [​IMG] they seem to enjoy spending the night under the bedroom window quacking. I've built them two houses, but they seem to prefer sleeping in a pile in the yard. I have to heard them into their pen if I want them put up at night. Luckily, we are pretty predator free here!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    no one is predator free, and if you think so sadly you will wake up one day and find a dead duck or multiple dead ducks if you dont lock them up every single night no excuses not to.

fox, bob cats, raccoons, stray dogs, skunks, possum, weasel family members, owls and the list goes and on

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Please get those ducks inside at night! Bribe them every night with treats to get them into the habit of going into a coop at night. It may take a little while to train them but you will eventually lose them if you let them stay out all night.

6. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    I second the motion to get your beloved ducks in at night. I lost two last winter because they would rather be in the middle of the pond than in the coop I was using at the time. I built a larger coop and started feeding once in the morning and again in the afternoon. They now follow me into their enclosure for the afternoon feeding and generally put themselves in the coop at dark at which time I go out and lock the door. If I am not going to be around at dark I either lock them early or have a neighbor lock them in at dark.

7. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Even a rat can take out a full grown large chicken. Seen it happen at a client's farm. So definitely lock up your ducks as securely as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by