How much do I feed my bantams?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Freddy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Freddy

Freddy Out Of The Brooder

How much does everyone feed their bantams? I have seen post that say 1/4 of a pound for an average chicken and 1/3 for heavy ones, but what about bantams. I would really appreciate some input on this and everything else, I'm new to raising chickens at first all I was feeding my chickens was scratch, nothing else! :eek:. Well hope to hear from ya'll soon.

Thanks

Freddy

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I let mine free feed. I'm assuming you're not feeding them all scratch anymore? Hopefully not because that is like candy to them.
    Bantams are approx. 1/3 the size of a standard chicken, so I'd think they would eat 1/3 the amount of food. But, I think you'd be better off letting them free feed.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My all get free-choice layer pellets. Meaning I have a giant feeder in their coop that I keep full.
    That's probably the best way to feed a flock living together. If you have them all caged separately I have no idea how much feed to give them.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Freddy!

We have a Bantams only flock and I have feed available for them 24/7. The laying hens have layer pellets available at all times and I've just started keeping a dish of grower/finisher available at all times for the roosters as the boys don't need the extra calcium of layer pellets. I only feed a bit of scratch, just before roosting time, when the nights are down below 40. Scratch is to chickens as candy is to us! [​IMG]

Hope this is some help and welcome to BYC!

Dawn

5. Freddy

Freddy Out Of The Brooder

Thanks for the welcome Dawn. Thanks to the forum I am no longer feeding my poultry just scratch. I have started to feed them half scratch half lay crumbles but will be switching over to full lay feed and scratch as a treat. I do have my breeds separated, I am hoping they will multiply soon so that they have more company. I assumed that since they are smaller that I could feed them half of what a standard chicken eats but I wanted to make sure and not hurt "my children" as my wife puts it. Well thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it.

Freddy ~:>

6. KariBunny

KariBunny Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2016
    Terrell TX
    They toll me it was bad to let food all they for them. How Truth is that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by