1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do i give grit to my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil_chick_chick, Apr 1, 2009.

1. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    How much grit do i give my chicks? There are 25 of them. I know that i only give it to them if they eat something besides chick food but im not sure how much to give.

2. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Just put a container of it next to their food and they'll eat it that way.

3. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Thank you![​IMG]

4. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    actually... how old are they?

If they are very young, and you give them a container to eat free choice, some might fill up on grit instead of food and that is harmful. When they are new babies, most places suggest sprinkling it like salt our their food once daily, starting on their third day. When they get older, you can switch to free choice. Be sure to use special "baby grit" which comes ground into smaller pieces.

5. TabbyChickens

TabbyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Is two weeks old enough to give them grit free choice?

6. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Mine have had free choice sand from the yard since they were about 2 weeks old, probubly a little before. I havent had any issues.

7. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I put a container of chick grit in the brooder when they are about 1 week old. I leave it in there all the time after that. The first day they have it they may eat quite a bit but then it drops to just a little bit once in awhile. And as someone else said, use chick grit. I don't sprinkle it on their food. I have heard that this encourages them to eat too much of it. Like many topics here on BYC, different people have different opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by