1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much do I need to feed our chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jscott5510, Jan 18, 2013.

1. jscott5510

jscott5510 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi! We just got six 9 week old chicks today, and I'm not sure if they should have food around the clock at their age? They will be free-ranging in their own yard during the days, but I need some advice as to keeping food in their coop and if the should have it available all day? I haven't had chickens since I was a kid, so I feel like I am re-learning how to keep them! Thanks in advance for any help!! Have a great day!!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi, and welcome!

Keep food available during the daylight hours. They won't eat while they're roosting at night. I put their feeder away at night so as not to attract rodents.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

After 6 weeks they can sleep at night with no food. But if you are running a light in there then they need food and water at all times.

4. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I keep food down all the time...don't think we have any rodent issues so far...no evidence of such at least. I fill the feeder and it lasts for about a week and then I refill it.

5. jscott5510

jscott5510 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by