How much do u charge?

I sell roosters. I'm completely serious with most of them. I'd rather deal with it myself than give someone a free bird that means I won't sell any of that bree next year

The average backyard chicken farmer is incapable of killing a chicken. They are to emotionally immature to recognize that they kill cattle, chicken, and pigs almost every time they eat a meal. Please allow me the pleasure to mock these types of liars. As a disclaimer: My ridicule is not targeted at vegans or vegetarians. My ridicule is targeted at hypocrites. People that think it is yucky to kill chickens but eat it with no thought makes me laugh. I just assume most people selling roosters have that hypocritical spirit. There have been times I wanted to get a new rooster but would never stoop to dignifying someone trying to sell a rooster. Anybody that breeds chickens no matter how small that operation desperately needs to get rid of roosters. The supply is too great and the demand is too low. Selling roosters doesn’t make sense to me. If you can do it then you have a skill. As the saying goes, “You could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo”.

Last edited:
The average backyard chicken farmer is incapable of killing a chicken. They are to emotionally immature to recognize that they kill cattle, chicken, and pigs almost every time they eat a meal. Please allow me the pleasure to mock these types of liars. As a disclaimer: My ridicule is not targeted at vegans or vegetarians. My ridicule is targeted at hypocrites. People that think it is yucky to kill chickens but eat it with no thought makes me laugh. I just assume most people selling roosters have that hypocritical spirit. There have been times I wanted to get a new rooster but would never stoop to dignifying someone trying to sell a rooster. Anybody that breeds chickens no matter how small that operation desperately needs to get rid of roosters. The supply is too great and the demand is too low. Selling roosters doesn’t make sense to me.
When I try to sell cockerels, it because I think its a particularly good example.
My thinking is, if someone is going to eat it, I want it to be me, so if I think its good enough then I don't want someone else eating it, thus I'll put a price on it.

Selling roosters doesn’t make sense to me. If you can do it then you have a skill. As the saying goes, “You could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo”.
It makes sense when you have breeds others want. I can sell blue egg layer hens, but unless someone has a rooster that also has blue egg genes, they'll loose those genes within a few generations. Hence their willingness to buy that rooster for their flock.

I have seen people try to sell roosters. 😂

I’m sure they aren’t serious. They just give it a price to prevent someone from using their rooster as free dinner. 🤣

I give all my cull cockerels their chance on Craigslist because some people DO want a rooster for their flock. If they don't sell then I eat them myself -- I'm not giving other people free chicken dinners after I put all the effort into raising them.

I sold Ludwig, my Black Langshan for $20 because, though a hatchery bird, Ludwig was a quite nice specimen of an unusual breed and he was proven as a flockmaster and proven as a good-tempered, non-aggressive fellow -- I could turn my back on him without even thinking about it.

He's now heading up an ornamental lawn flock where his new owner enjoys his great beauty.

Next spring I should have Blue Australorp trios available as well as single cockerels.

Or some very tasty pots of Arroz Con Pollo.

Personally I just kill my roosters or give them away.

Roosters only have one purpose and that purpose is to breed. They aren’t even that good as meat in most cases. I have encountered a few exceptions.

Sorry. I just don’t buy roosters and wouldn’t expect anybody else to. I guess a prize winning show chicken or a relative of a prize winning show chicken would be an exception. To be fair I am even wary about buying hens because I am not skilled enough to determine their age. I don’t want to accidentally buy an 8 year old hen that doesn’t lay eggs. (I’ve done it before. Lol)

I give all my cull cockerels their chance on Craigslist because some people DO want a rooster for their flock. If they don't sell then I eat them myself -- I'm not giving other people free chicken dinners after I put all the effort into raising them.

I sold Ludwig, my Black Langshan for $20 because, though a hatchery bird, Ludwig was a quite nice specimen of an unusual breed and he was proven as a flockmaster and proven as a good-tempered, non-aggressive fellow -- I could turn my back on him without even thinking about it.

He's now heading up an ornamental lawn flock where his new owner enjoys his great beauty.

Next spring I should have Blue Australorp trios available as well as single cockerels.

Or some very tasty pots of Arroz Con Pollo.
I also like to give them a chance. Today I sold 2 beautiful, well-behaved Australorp x Easter Eggers to a family who didn't have roosters but wanted some. Didn't charge much, but it was an effort to be sure they weren't just going to be dinner, and they won't be. So happy for them.

As you said, I'm not into giving folks free chicken dinners unless led to -- and a small charge better guarantees that they will either have a good life or we will have a good meal. I much prefer the former, but am ok with the latter.

Back
Top Bottom