How much do you all sell your eggs for?

ThePigeonKid

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
How much do you all sell your eggs for? (Per doz)

Thanks!
smile.png

The answers will be all over the place, based on the "pricey" factor of anyone's area. $2 all the way to $5.

Not really a good answer for you. But, I will say this. You invest a lot in the birds, in their brooding, raising, chores, facilities, costly feed and care. Don't sell eggs at a loss. Why would you go through all that one goes through in finances and labor just to subsidize someone's eggs?

Want to gift folks with eggs? Great. We do too. But I will NOT sell eggs below cost. That's right at $2.50.

I sell my chicken eggs for 3.50$ a dozen if I provide the carton and 3$ a dozen if you provide the carton. I haven't figured out how much to ask for duck eggs
hmm.png
. I just went to a Farmer's Market in Austin and they were asking 4$, 5$ and 6$ per dozen depending on which vendor you stopped at.

Quote:
Have you done the break down on that figure? I'd be interested in seeing your figures. Without photocopying our records, which are precise and accurate, I'll give you mine, as a thumbnail.

Brooding/Raising cost per pullet to POL. $10-$12 Add another $40 to feed/care for laying pullet for remainder of year to hatch anniversary. Total cost at one year=$52. So, that pullet must lay 20 dozen (240 eggs) at $3 per dozen to generate $60. Profit per hen at one year anniversary of hatch= $8.
Second laying year will considerably more profitable. $16-$18, per laying hen, depending on performance.

These costs are based on current average for feed at $19.50 per 100 pounds.

Hope that helps.

I get $7 a dozen. My clientele is snooty hoity toity and I maket them as deluxe and organic and my labels are amusing. It's the "mama granola" crowd that I cater to. They love paying more and getting them "right from my backyard". Crazy. I started by selling them to someone I have worked for for about 3 years and then she told her friends and now I just deliver what I have to one house and they fight over them amongst themselves. More Crazy.

Back
Top Bottom