How much do you charge for eggs?

beverlyl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Morristown Arizona
I am getting about 18-21 eggs a day and was wondering how much people are getting for eggs. I live a little west of phoenix, I know that area sometimes makes a difference in price. If you sell eggs in Az how do you advertise? Thanks Beverly

I'm far away in eastern Canada but have been selling our eggs $5 a dozen - we can't get them out the door fast enough!! My hubby brings them into the city, everyone in his office wants eggs, so do our friends and families... we have repeat customers as people tell us they are the BEST eggs ever!

Free-range, organic eggs at the grocery store here cost almost $6 a dozen and there is NO guarantee of freshness, the eggs are all generic and it's still cruel animal farming so I guess people are jumping at the chance to eat real food!

Good luck!

I'm planning on 3 a dozen when we get enough to sell
smile.png

I"m in rural east central Indiana. I can only get $2.00 for my eggs. the cage free brown eggs sell for $2.40 at the Meijer store close by. The Amish in the area sell their brown eggs for $2.00. I suppose if I lived closer to a big metropolitan area like on the east cost I could get more, but folks around here just won't pay much more than $2 a dz.

The farm fresh egg market really depends on the area you live in. I live in SW Virginia and was getting $2.50 a dozen for eggs until the economy went to pots. I'm now getting $2.00, which still helps pay for their feed and is really the only thing important to me here.
smile.png

I guess all things are relative... a 50 lbs bag of purina layer feed costs me about $14 (with tax), a bag of bedding is $5...

My 16 chickens (of which only 9 are laying, one is a silkie so her eggs are useless for resale) cost me about $50 a month in feed & bedding, and that's not including all the goodies they get for breakfast (warm oatmeal with diatomaceous earth - cost me $30 for 2.2 lbs - flax seeds, fruit, veggies, meats, etc).

One is sick and on antibiotics, add another $13 for meds.

Had to get a dog crate for transport: $41.

Am putting about $500 of renovations in the coop this week, perhaps more.

Oh how about the rat traps and poison, pooper scoopers, heating lamp & bulbs, feeders, waterers, etc etc...

I have to sell a LOT of eggs at $5 a dozen to keep up
lol.png

Thankfully people are handing over their cash very readily for these expensive eggs!

thumbsup.gif

I'm not selling myself, but I know enough people here in central Ohio who are, and the going price here seems to be $3.00 a dozen.

Which I would never pay...

... (says the idiot who is currently averaging $150 per egg from her own chickens).

I live in Australia.. I saw eggs ON SALE in the shops for 4.50.. and I think they were cage (didnt look that closely)

I sell mine for $3 a dozen.. always have an egg carton sitting around waititng to be filled. Since I've only got 3 girls, I just sell them to people at my mums work and it's working out well

Back
Top Bottom