How much do you charge for eggs?

I charge $2.00 a dozen for free range -soy free- non-organic eggs.

I agree You could probably get $3.50 per dozen maybe $4.00 depending on your marketing and competition. If you go to all the weekend farmers markets and whatnot I assume you'll sell more.

I would say $4-$5. I sell free-range non-organic for $2.50. Most customers are more than happy to pay that. I recently lost a customer to someone selling for $1.50. Hard to understand that one. I'm not trying to make a profit, but any less and I'd be at a loss. As it is my dogs diets consist of regular scabbled eggs. LOL!!

hello there~~
I too started to charge $4 per doz. then i just raised it to $5.
mostly for the easier change! not looking for that one dollar! PLUS if we were to charge to balanced amount for all the work, time and money invested, they would probably be $15 per doz! lol
good thing we Like it! around here people have no prob paying $5 for local fresh eggs, organic or not. yea!

I don't get enough eggs to really have a business selling them, I only have 6 hens. I have had friends want to buy them from me, but... my husband says Those eggs are too expensive to sell to people, just give them as gifts." So that is what I do with them. They make a nice gift when put in a basket, or a carton with a specially designed label.

I wish I could get that much for my eggs. I was chargeing 1.00 a doz, then raised it to 1.50 and we lost buyers. I can hardly give eggs away anymore. My birds are not free range, but they are left loose everyday. I have my feed done for me at a feed mill, and its all organic. Im to the point where Im hard boiling close to 10 doz a week and feeding them back to the girls to get rid of them.

Thanks for all the replies!

I've been giving away nicely wrapped and packaged half-dozens to friends, until they all started yelling at me for not charging them. I had no idea what to charge; I think I'll settle on $5/dozen. (My best friend just paid me $6/dozen, and she's giving them away as gifts, too.)

eggs.jpg

Stores in my area charge $3-$5 for so called free range (I wouldn't believe it) and 3-4 for 'cage free'. If someone is unwilling to pay a competitive price for your eggs, let 'em by the junk, old eggs from the store. just MHO.

Quote:
I 100% agree! IN my area noone seems to like 'farm fresh' eggs. I do a trade with my local petstore owner and she gives me $2 a dozen. My husband just forced me into selling for $1.50 to a small general store. I feel that my girls are being treated horribly cause they work so hard to lay these wonderful eggs and nobody wants to pay anything for them.

But I hate the way the commercial hens are treated though!!

Back
Top Bottom