how much do you charge for your eggs?

G'day

All I can say is 'WOW' that type of price over our way is unheard of. I live in Brisbane/Queensland Australia and as I have noticed comparing with American prices on food items, we are so much more dearer. I buy free range eggs from the markets for $5.50 a dozen elsewhere it can be more. Supermarkets sell them for up to $8.00 a doz depending what they promise in their sale gimmicks. If the eggs are organic, you can pay up to $12 dozen especially if you buy these in a health food store. Duck eggs are sold here very rarely and mainly in season and the ones you can buy cost around $6-8 for 1/2 doz. Mostly these stay within family and friends. So you are very fortunate over there that you can buy good quality eggs for such a price. I suppose it doesn't leave much of an incentive to sell your eggs.

If I should sell my excess eggs (have to buy the hens first) I could easily charge $5.00 a dozen and if they were fed organically I could charge even more and they would sell as people always look for home grown eggs. There is a lot of skeptics here and I don't blame them because you don't always get what they advertise, it can be quite confusing. So if someone sells their eggs from their back yard they are more willing to pay the price because people know that yes, they are fresh, yes they are free range and they know where to go back if they believe they got ripped off so they are more willing to buy privately where there is no middle man and most are willing to pay the extra to have peace of mind that they are getting a good quality egg. The good news is you gain a rapport with people and they become your repeat customers.

I have already mentioned this to some of my neighbours that I am getting chickens and they are already interested in buying my eggs if and when I have excess.

Anyway I just thought I would put my 2 cents in - you are very blessed over there.

Cheers
Chrissy
ep.gif

PS: Standard of living here is very high

Well, it doesn't really get more city than where I live, so I get $4.00 per dozen. People here go pretty crazy for eggs from the city.

We advertise locally ( free ) on four different sites and capitalize on the 'Heritage Breed' Barred Plymouth Rocks,
Large Brown 'Cage Free' Eggs and don't have a problem selling them directly from our homestead for $4 per dozen
or $5 for 18. I make sure the eggs are extremely clean and I have a great label with our farm name, chicken pix, etc.
I don't buy new cartons and use recycled ones with my repeat customers 'trained' to bring me as many as they have
when they come to pickup their egg order.

I know it sounds corny but the 'marketing hype' really seems to work for us. I sell my BR hatching eggs for $12 per dozen
with two to three extras depending on availability. All of my sales are customer pickup at our farm which is conveniently
located only a mile from the square in our rural town and very easy to find.

Hello to everyone

I'm sooo excited as I will be picking up my first ever chicken - my Silkie. At the moment with our weather I will be leaving my pet silkie in the laundry and letting it out to graze. I want to get it settled before I pick up my Australorps. Soon I will have my very first egg. This must sound a bit trivial to most of you as you are by now all "eggsperts" (pun intended) in the chicken business.

Anyway, I had to share my excitement.

By the way,

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY TO ALL THE AUSSIES OUT THERE - ENJOY YOU BARBY, SHRIMPS, LAMB AND ALL (EVEN CHICKENS!!)

wee.gif

Here in rural NC I charge $3/doz. The point is that people who want eggs for a dollar from the grocery store arent going to buy my eggs anyway. They dont care about how I raise my hens. But the people who DO care will pay more. In a city like Raleigh I would charge $4-5, in a place like DC or SF I would charge between $6-8.
What I do is make it really clear that my eggs are special. We got Animal Welfare Approved (which is free and a great program) and we sell really pretty mixed color eggs with a nice farm label in reused cartons. My customers bring me cartons. I post pictures of my hens and talk about what breeds they are. My customers love that connection to our farm and that we are not off in some factory somewhere- they can come by and see the ladies anytime.

I think BYC should make this a survey question so that people can look up prices in their area and price accordingly!

Hello to everyone

I'm sooo excited as I will be picking up my first ever chicken - my Silkie. At the moment with our weather I will be leaving my pet silkie in the laundry and letting it out to graze. I want to get it settled before I pick up my Australorps. Soon I will have my very first egg. This must sound a bit trivial to most of you as you are by now all "eggsperts" (pun intended) in the chicken business.

Anyway, I had to share my excitement.

By the way,

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY TO ALL THE AUSSIES OUT THERE - ENJOY YOU BARBY, SHRIMPS, LAMB AND ALL (EVEN CHICKENS!!)

wee.gif

Congratulations! I got my first-ever chicks back in July and they are all laying now! I've loved every moment of chicken ownership, and I hope you will, too! You're correct, we are fortunate, here in the US. Many persnickety Americans complain about our food prices and taxes, etc., but it's still a heck of a lot easier to make and pay your way through life in this country than it is in many others. Happy Australia Day!

Back
Top Bottom