How much do you feed your ducks?

Tinkey71

Songster
Nov 8, 2018
Florida
I have 15 ducks, 4 different breeds. They are 4 weeks old.
Every time I feed them they go nuts, it's like a feeding frenzy! Even me coming close to the cage makes them nuts. I upped the feedings amount and times, but it seems like they're always starved! I have an automatic water for them, I'm thinking of getting an auto feeder too, but at this rate will they eat all the feed no matter what?

Ducklings and chicks even adults always get free choice access to feed all day long here... they are growing.

BUT... anytime I bring something out they ALL go crazy for it is something special coming from me. They would come runnign from across the pasture to eat what I was putting out.

By leaving feed available all day and only bringing a snack at a certain time of day... I no longer get bombarded every time I step out the door but only at snack time.

Thing is... ducks eat a LOT... part of why I no longer keep them... :hmm

Here is a feed consumption chart to check out. They also have lots of other good duck info...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DailyFeedWaterDucklings.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=22495814

Allowing them to free range could help cut back significantly on feed cost.

When I leave feed available free choice all day... they did NOT eat until it was gone... they simply visited it as they wanted to throughout the day. :pop

My Indian Runners have access to their meat-bird crumbles 24x7, simple 5lbs PVC poultry feeder. Except for the time they were growing chicks they have never pigged out and they stop eating when they are full.
Even though they are never really starving they always come running at us when we're outside and ask for something to eat, i assume that's more of a socializing behavior. They just like to be around us and eating something together is just another ritual to strengthen bonds.

My ducks are pigs compared to my chickens and eat approximately 50% more than my chickens, as adults. Their eggs are also significantly larger and my duck breeds are physically larger than my chickens, so I can see where they would need to eat more. Try to give free access to feed, though the more they have, the more they dabble, and the more that ends up as sludge in the water container. I think a higher feed bill is just part of having ducks. :barnie

My ducks are pigs compared to my chickens and eat approximately 50% more than my chickens, as adults. Their eggs are also significantly larger and my duck breeds are physically larger than my chickens, so I can see where they would need to eat more. Try to give free access to feed, though the more they have, the more they dabble, and the more that ends up as sludge in the water container. I think a higher feed bill is just part of having ducks. :barnie
It helps a lot if you can let your ducks loose in the yard! During the warm months the food in my feeder often clumped up and spoiled because my duckies preferred to feast on seeds, insects and worms they collected on their pasture.

Ducklings and chicks even adults always get free choice access to feed all day long here... they are growing.

BUT... anytime I bring something out they ALL go crazy for it is something special coming from me. They would come runnign from across the pasture to eat what I was putting out.

By leaving feed available all day and only bringing a snack at a certain time of day... I no longer get bombarded every time I step out the door but only at snack time.

Thing is... ducks eat a LOT... part of why I no longer keep them... :hmm

Here is a feed consumption chart to check out. They also have lots of other good duck info...
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DailyFeedWaterDucklings.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=22495814

Allowing them to free range could help cut back significantly on feed cost.

When I leave feed available free choice all day... they did NOT eat until it was gone... they simply visited it as they wanted to throughout the day. :pop
We do that with our ducks since they love to make a mess and are very loud if not given food or water.

It helps a lot if you can let your ducks loose in the yard! During the warm months the food in my feeder often clumped up and spoiled because my duckies preferred to feast on seeds, insects and worms they collected on their pasture.

I wish I could, but it is not legal to free range within town limits, poultry is permitted only if fully fenced :(

Back
Top Bottom