How much do you handle your chicks?

amarook

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Wellsburg
I'm just curious. I pretty much leave my guys alone.
But I'm wondering should they be handled more so that they aren't flighty when they are older?

Also a question about adding chicks.

I have 10 RIR chicks that are a week old today.

The feed store is due to get chicks in April.
If they have some I would like to get, is it ok to add different age chicks together, or do I need a separate brooder? I'm only talking about 1 or 2 chicks.

If they do have to go into a separate brooder, do I have to take precautions before introductions when the new chicks are able to go into the coop with the older birds?

Thanks!

I handle mine so that they become friendly. I only handle them for a very short period of time, now when I go out to my older flock they think that I am a big mama hen and come a running and eat out of my hand and let me pet them. That is my take on it. Also I have grandchildren so I let them touch them under my supervision. They love the chickens. I have a Partridge Cochin Roo coming and he will be my pet. I just love the cochin's.

I handled the last chicks we got last fall every day, they became friendly, they love to sit on you, but they were inside.

the new chicks I don't really hold them, cause they are in the big brooder room, and I don't want to stress them by grabbing at them. but I do spend a total of about 3 or 4 hours throughout the day, they lay beside me, and let me pet them, they have also taken to trying to follow me out of the brooder room when I leave
love.gif

I handled mine twice a day for like 10 seconds. Now that they are big, I can feel fine letting my little sisters' friends in the coop without having to worry. It's also easier to tame a rooster if he has been held all his life. (And easier to show him off, too!
wink.png
)

As to putting the little ones in with the bigger little ones, I wouldn't put them directly in the same brooder, because they are too far apart in age. Put them in the same brooder with something like plexi-glass dividing them, so they can see eachother, but not beat the snot out of eachother. Also, because you are getting only 2 younger ones, it will be harder to introduce them without them being picked on. Maybe you should order more...
wink.png
lol.png

I might just add that it's not just the handling that makes them endeared to you. Talk to them as much as possible, so they get used to hearing your voice and they learn humans can be trusted. Some people even play a radio for them.

Also just sitting down with them and let them crawl and hop all over you, and explore you while you talk sofly and gently with them really tames them. I have a "special " set of "chicken clothes" that I wear into the brooder house so that when I sit down with them............well, you know, poopies and all that....
ep.gif

Have fun!

Ma

Quote:
amen! our chickens are the most rotten chickens you've ever seen. Our 2 month old bantam frizzle roo will lay in our arms on his back like a baby for us to rub his belly
gig.gif

I've actually been amazed at how very little I have gotten pooped upon but a special set of clothes is a good idea. Now, if I could only train myself to take the time to change into those special clothes
smile.png
-- I don't wear my work clothes out there at least.

Back
Top Bottom