how much do you handle your chicks?

I find that my chicks go crazy every time I sneeze, speak, laugh, sometimes even walk by.
there are too many and Im too busy to pick each one up and cuddle it...but when I do try to handle them, they act like im going to eat them..
does anyone have a great solution to having calm friendly chicks? my hens are calm and friendly, but that usually happens once they start free ranging and see the rest of the flock coming to me and eating from my hand... wondering how to gain some trust with them early on...it will make switching out leg bands and taking notes, photos easier. thx
I’m a little late seeing this, but here’s what I do ...

First of all, I spend an unnatural amount of time with my babies. I hold them all the time or sit beside their brooder (it’s a giant plastic storage bin with wheels that I keep out in the kitchen area on the tiled floor). I talk to them and reach my hand in their brooder so they can peck at me/climb on me.

I also put them in a ‘hot pocket‘ (basically a small fleece-lined pillow case I put in my lap then pile them in so they can be close to me but stay warm - I’m including pictures). They usually climb out of the hot pocket, though :p.

Another thing is I talk to them like a mama chicken - the continuous bock-bock-bock sound (yes, I’m a crazy chicken lady! :lau .

This usually results in lap chickens when they’re older. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• FD6DE47B-AB37-4F3F-B0E7-3D281EB2B2EF.jpeg
    FD6DE47B-AB37-4F3F-B0E7-3D281EB2B2EF.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 5DFC4E55-6AE0-4476-94CB-12509780D671.jpeg
    5DFC4E55-6AE0-4476-94CB-12509780D671.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom