how much do you handle your chicks?

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
I find that my chicks go crazy every time I sneeze, speak, laugh, sometimes even walk by.
there are too many and Im too busy to pick each one up and cuddle it...but when I do try to handle them, they act like im going to eat them..
does anyone have a great solution to having calm friendly chicks? my hens are calm and friendly, but that usually happens once they start free ranging and see the rest of the flock coming to me and eating from my hand... wondering how to gain some trust with them early on...it will make switching out leg bands and taking notes, photos easier. thx

When you pick them up, do you grab them from the top? If so, they are scared your hand is a hawk. It is a natural instinct and to stop that from happening, make your brooder so there is an opening in the side than can be closed so you are grabbing them from the side, not from above.

Handle them whenever possible!

When you pick them up, do you grab them from the top? If so, they are scared your hand is a hawk. It is a natural instinct and to stop that from happening, make your brooder so there is an opening in the side than can be closed so you are grabbing them from the side, not from above.

Handle them whenever possible!
I use a giant freezer box... yes I grab them from the top. Hmmm. thats going to be a challenging one to remedy.

I have to reach in from the top of my brooder too, it doesnt seem to bother them because they know that big ugly chicken is giving us food and fresh water and cleaning up our mess. When I pick one up I scoop it up from underneath, slowly, and most are ok with it. Some just dont like it at all and will yell at me to put them down.

The only time I choose to grab the chicks is during cleaning of the brooder. I prefer to sit and just talk to them for them to get use to my voice. I think this is why all my chickens know their names and come to their name when called.

Back
Top Bottom