How much do you pay for feed??

Pics
I’m paying $24 for 50# of non-GMO layer mash from a nearby feed mill, and my chickens love it. However, I’ve been thinking about starting to mix my own. Anyone ever tried that? I don’t try to overthink this stuff…after all, they are chickens, and they could literally thrive on kitchen scraps and foraging in my yard and woods. But I’m thinking of mixing their feed supplement, in light of the recent Tractor Supply chicken feed shenanigans…don’t know if I want to chance it with pre-mixed feed.
Lots of people try to mix their own. Generally it ends poorly.

Most local mills won't mix for you unless you are doing it tons at a time, so you can't count on enjoying their efficiencies of scale in pricing.

Chickens can literally LIVE on kitchen scraps, foraging, and sufficient woods/pasture in some environments - most of which already have established feral flocks. Chickens do not THRIVE in such environments. Those words have very different meanings.

I’m paying $24 for 50# of non-GMO layer mash from a nearby feed mill, and my chickens love it. However, I’ve been thinking about starting to mix my own. Anyone ever tried that? I don’t try to overthink this stuff…after all, they are chickens, and they could literally thrive on kitchen scraps and foraging in my yard and woods. But I’m thinking of mixing their feed supplement, in light of the recent Tractor Supply chicken feed shenanigans…don’t know if I want to chance it with pre-mixed feed.
If you are concerned about price be warned it will cost you way more to "make" a complete balanced feed.

Chickens do not THRIVE in such environments. Those words have very different meanings.
Yup. My dad mentioned he always only fed his birds cracked corn and free range. Maybe corn was cheaper back thirty years ago but now your only going to save a couple bucks doesn't make sense. Same with people adding it in winter cause it's cold and they think they need it. Plenty of corn in commercial feed I don't think you need to add any.

they could literally thrive on kitchen scraps and foraging in my yard and woods.

Chickens can literally LIVE on kitchen scraps, foraging, and sufficient woods/pasture in some environments - most of which already have established feral flocks. Chickens do not THRIVE in such environments. Those words have very different meanings.

Exactly what I was going to say.

They can survive that way -- in a favorable climate and ecological zone -- but they will neither thrive nor produce well.

These are not our great-grandparents' chickens. This book from 100 years ago talks about how to get a profitable 100 eggs per hen per year -- from LEGHORNS.

My worst layer, a Light Brahma did better than that. Modern Leghorns are expected to produce 300 eggs per year.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/poultry-for-the-farm-and-home.1443907/

Yup. My dad mentioned he always only fed his birds cracked corn and free range. Maybe corn was cheaper back thirty years ago but now your only going to save a couple bucks doesn't make sense. Same with people adding it in winter cause it's cold and they think they need it. Plenty of corn in commercial feed I don't think you need to add any.

big difference between free ranging on a hobby farm with a number of other animals which are fed with a working pasture for grains and substantial garden plot out back, expecting just 100-150 eggs per year and "free ranging" in a one to two acre monoculture not used as an efficient vegetable garden and grain plot which lacks the other livestock who are being fed, and whose missed feed can be scavenged by the hens.

Its those underlying assumptions that trip many up - we (generally) don't live the way we used to, we don't use our land they way we used to, we don't have the production expectations we used to, and our modern birds? have generally been bred to need more nutritional support from us to maintain modern production levels.

Back
Top Bottom