How much do YOU sell your eggs for?

We just raised our prices. We're at 3.75 but I'm pushing for higher, as we seem to be under selling some of the other local organic people and no one wins as our eggs don't even break us even. I'd rather be competitive by merit than price, but then I like the challenge.

I charge $3 a dozen, but feed costs have gone up and DH is trying to get me to charge $4. If I do, it will be for new customers, I'll keep my current customers at $3.

I currently sell mine for $2.00 a dozen, which is what they were going for at the 2 gas stations in town here where someone was selling theirs. I deliver eggs to the nurses and docs at the local clinic, right down the street from me, and they order any where from 9-11 dozen a week, so there is a waiting list going at all times. I guess it's a fair price for them when they have to wait. I am going to be adding 6 more hens to my flock next week (I hope) to try to keep up with my orders, and maybe have enough so that I can eat some, too!

Another consideration is that I do sell mixed sized cartons.

Mine sell for $3/dz. Just washed and put in the carton. I do not sort or grade them. I think the different sizes and colors are part of the "naturally grown charm"

We produce USDA Certified Organic eggs as members of a farmers' cooperative. Most of our eggs are shipped as nest run to a processing plant for retail sale and that is where we make most of our profit. We sell Jumbos from the farm for $2 a dozen, by the time we add a carton, that is pretty much the same as the wholesale price. My wife also sells some eggs in town, if she takes them into town it is $3 a dozen. She has no problem getting $3 for them. (They sell at retail for around $4.25 a dozen under the co-op's label).

$4 a dozen for chicken, $5 for duck eggs. Discounts for subscriptions and rebate for bringing back the carton or donating cartons. Our ladies are free range, eating mostly bugs, roses and blackberry bushes which makes for very sweet eggs. We sell green, white, chocolate and brown eggs - will take requests for color on a first come, first serve basis. The Rainbow Pack is our best seller.

Also, we use wooden and ceramic eggs to discourage egg eaters and encourage laying in specific locations. I got so worried about accidentally handing out one of the fakes, that I turned it into the contest - if you find one, you get a free dozen mini eggs from the bantams! Folks get a kick out of that.
big_smile.png

For the past year, I've been buying eggs (brown & blue) at the local farmers market each week. There are several different farms selling eggs - and they're all $4 a dozen. They sell a lot of them at that price, too. It's a little higher than the grocery store, but I know they're fresh and from organically raised chickens. So they're worth the extra $ to me - and to many others as well. My pullets are 18 weeks old, and I'm looking forward to having eggs from them soon.

I sell my for 3$ a dozen and have been told that is too cheap. Store eggs are around 2$ a dozen so I'm higher than the stores but also a lot freasher. I get about 25 dozen a week and sell out every week. About half of thoose are sold a the local framers market each sunday. At 3$ a dozen it helps on feed but I do not make a profit or even cost. I figure about 8$ a dozen to break even. But then I donot do it for the money its because I love my chickens. I keep picking up new people all the time its great. Happy selling.

We're raising our price come July 1.
Brown $3.00
Mixed $2.50
White $2.25
With a $0.25 carton return (our cartons only)
Most of my customers elect for the mixed color eggs...but I have a few that will only buy brown eggs.
I don't grade or size them. They go into the carton as laid after being washed.

Back
Top Bottom